Hello from Nevada USA

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Thanks for having me. I'm a retired mechanic and miner and my hobbies include model railroads and layouts in 1/24 scale, Gn15 gauge mostly. I'm relatively new to paper models and am hoping to learn from the members here and maybe even be able to contribute something useful.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello Ken,

welcome to the forum! :)

Don't worry, building a paper model is not as difficult as it looks. Just start with something simple and build one piece at a time (it is like scratch-building but at least you have a template which you can replicate as often as you wish).

There are many tutotrials in our tutorial section:

http://www.zealot.com/forums/tips-tutorials-tools.648/

and our search function will lead you to whatever you are looking for (if someone has started a thread on it, of course ;) ).

Yesterday I found a beautiful German site with many rare and easy-to-build paper trains:

http://www.zealot.com/threads/bastelbogen-online-free-trains-cars-buses-games-buildings-more.179285/

Maybe there is something for you for practising?

Meanwhile, take a look around and have fun and enjoy!

RF :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Hey, your a miner? You may need your parents permission! (Bad Joke, ;) ) Welcome to the forum. We do have a dedicated train forum, and those guys are light years ahead of me, so you will find someone there to talk train about. They're a great bunch, not a lot, but the best of the best.

I do a lot of mechanic work, I am also a machinist, I have a small machine shop in my Barn, Mig/Tig welders, Miller, Lathe, etc. I do CAD, and help people with their projects. I am presently restoring a 1973 M.G. Midget. Blueprinted the motor, forged racing pistons, decked that head, only .005", shot peened the rods, 10 degrees more duration on the cam, same lift and slapped on a DCOE 40MM Weber Side draft Carb, and installed a Mallory Dual point ignition, so I could play with advancing the timing curves. I also removed everything that said Lucas. She purrs like a 3 balled cat!! Only Midget I've been in that does an easy 105 mph, the transmission is the limitation, it's geared low, great for these Connecticut back roads.

:) Welcome to Zealot

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
:)

I'm an amateur machinist also, having a complete shop with all the machines and tools to make nearly anything. The problem is that getting out to the shop and being able to do the work has escaped me. I have a set of Unimats that I can use in the house, but they are being banned to the great outdoors also. So, I moved to working on little things like trains. I have started a layout in our 'play room' where my wife and I share work space.
Hopefully the layout and projects will get closer to completion and I can play with my metal working machines again. I taught myself to TIG weld a few years ago and that is just fascinating.
Kudos on the Midget. I wanted one so badly during the middle sixties and nearly got one. The Sprite was more affordable, but the MG was my dream car. Oh well...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot.

You are now a member of one of the best hobby forums on the net. We have many very knowledgeable members who are willing lend a helping hand. Not only that, but we all understand that everyone has to start out not really much about paper models building and think that their work is not worth posting. So by all means, please post the models that you have made!
So if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help, or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The 1973 Midget is the most desirable. The round rear wheel arches really give the car a nice look. A very easy car to fix up if you have a welder. The technology is so old,, upgrades become obvious, and you end up with a better car. Being a purist on a car like this is idiotic. The need some frame re-enforcement, and some plastic liners in the wheel wells to prevent rust. I plane to do that, or rubberize metal screens to shape, to keep water out of areas where it can't escape. Connecticut uses way too much salt in the Winter. I drove this car for 7 years before I decided to restore/recondition it. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Howdy and Welcome to the forum, neighbor! Show us your progress as you get things going on your layouts!