Hello from michigan

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by general2852, Oct 9, 2007.

1. general2852

general2852 New Member

My is John Hainbecher
    I live inTrenton Michigan - Detriot area / downriver
    I started in this hobby last winter when a friend gave me 2 issues of Model Railroader March and April 1999 both of them have model steel mills in them.
    I really don't have a layout as of now,Just some structures on 4'x8'plywood in HO scale.
    I want to move down south but I have to wait until the market improves to sell my house.
    I don't want to build something just to tear it down.
    I worked 32 years at National Steel/ Great Lakes Steel.
    Over that time I worked in all parts of the plant and yes that includes Zug Island.I started off as production for 4 years and the rest of the time I was as a maintenance tradesman.

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge, John:wave: Nothin says you have to have a layout. Lots of us are armchair modelers.

3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Welcome John: You should be a real benefit tothe steel industry modelers. There are quite a few of them here.
  4. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Welcome here John. Mid 90's I lived in Toledo, OH while my wife finished graduate school. My father in law was born and raised in Detroit. I sure love it back there. You can always count on it to get nice and cold in the winter and you most definitely have 4 very distinct seasons. Enjoy the comraderie you will find here.
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Woohoo! Come on down to Texas! We need more model railroaders in these parts.:mrgreen:

Welcome to The Gauge!
  6. Printer

Printer Member

I moved to Florida. Got sick of the single digit temps in the winter.

So you're a Zug Island guy eh?
  7. general2852

general2852 New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. And yes I spent some time on
    "The Island".But the reason I want to move, its not the weather.
    Its the COST off living up here in the land of taxes.Rough on a fixed income.
  8. Printer

Printer Member

Then Florida isn't the palce for you. I'm just recently put on a fixed income and ACK!!!

It's a rip-off-the-tourist state. The daily cost of existing (not living) here is outrageous. I'm seriously looking at leaving the USA for Central America, where a dollar goes a bit farther. Family has kept me from moving but if things don't change here, I don't see where I'll have much choice.

9. general2852

general2852 New Member

I here you their.I have a real good friend from the mill "that retired to florida" about 4 years ago. Both him and his wife now have to work to keep up with the bills.Not my idea of retirement!!!!
    I was thinking more like Kentucky,Tennessee, or Alabama.
    Cheaper cost of living.
  10. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Glad you could join us John!