Hello from Illinois!!!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Rawjinks, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rawjinks

Rawjinks New Member

Hello to all,

New member here. Recently became obsessed with the card models. Had previously been into plastic and RC. Then, just last year I was at Oshkosh Airventure and came across the small and well hidden display of card model aircraft. Since this time I have been interested in learning more about the hobby.
    A few questions I have right off the bat are:

What are the top 3 manufacturers of card models?
    What kinds of tools are required to properly assemble these kits?
    Are there any midewestern hobby shows that showcase these types of kits?

Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

answers to your questions

#1. Depends on what you want, preprinted or digital downloads
    depends on your taste.
    as many members we have, you will get a multitude of answers,
    Halinski, GPM, FLY Model, Modelik, Draf, Renova, PK Graphica, usually any of the Polish or Czech publishing houses will serve you right.

#2) These are the tools I bought when I started, X-acto knife, or similar
    Elmer's or Aleene's glue, metal ruler, any number of tweezers, and a bunch of tools that my mom gave me, and most importantly, a self sealing cutting mat.

#3) More than likely, none.
    You might have to start making in roads with some of the local to you paper model guys.

3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Welcome to the forum. I think that in answer to your 3 best companies question the answer depends greatly on what you want. If you want highly detailed models GPM and Halinsky are both pretty good. If you like a little simpler but still high quality I would send you to Thaipaperworks (see link on homepage).

Some companies are more into planes, some into ships etc, so I guess it really depends what you're looking for. Since you mentioned Oshkosh I'm guessing you're a plane fanatic(I am too) and there are a bunch of really good companies just browse through offerings and then ask about a particular kit you find and odds are someone has some knowledge of it.

Again welcome.
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Hello Rawjinks and Welcome!

for a nice list of links to cardmodels, free downloads and otherwise, check this link on my homepage;

as far as tools go this is my offering; search this forum for a thread called "cardmodels made easy-er" several members offered their best suggestions for what kind of tools to use.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Oshkosh by Gosh!

Welcome to the forum. As regards the top manufacturer's it depends on who the designer is. Leading modern designs are pretty much all produced using CAD design and are painted using computer paint programs. Hang around long enough and you'll see some of the home grown efforts at individual designs which will give you an idea as how it all hangs together (take a look at Wilja's F2G for instance). It also depends on what area you intend to model. You'll find a much larger selection from online shops than in the rather limited scope of the modern American hobby shop (architectural models is one area). If you like good building, good looking models take a look at Thai paperworks. I also have a liking for some of the Orlik line of models...,

6. modano1

modano1 Member

7. Rawjinks

Rawjinks New Member

Thank you for the info guys...I forgot to mention that I am into the aviation aspect of the paper model hobby. Mostly WWII up to today's modern aircraft. Right now I am eyeing the F-15 by Halinski....

Thanks again,

8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Did I hear some noise? 8) Wait; there is no noise in Illinois. :twisted: God I could not help my self. I grew up in Ridge Farm Ill. Population 989. :cry: Then on to Danville. :cry: Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. I would start looking around this site and check out some of the builds to help get some ideas. There is a wealth of info in here. Oh yea. Welcome aboard rawjinks. :grin:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.