Hello From Cornwall UK

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Fozzy The Bear, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick hello.... I'm new to posting on here, although I've been lurking for several months, enjoying reading about all the wonderful models that you guys build.

I'm not new to card models, but I'm kind of returning to them after many years. The first model I've built is Greelt Peterusma's wonderful Saturn 5 F1 engine, which I'm very pleased with. My main interest is in trains and railways, but I'm tempted by some of the superb aircraft and ship models out there as well.

I've built a lot of 3D Models for various software and games (see attachment for one of them) and it suddenly occoured to me how similar they are to card models. Albeit that card models have to have an internal structure to hold them together. So I'm now working on a few projects of my own, which if I'm happy with them, no doubt I'll post some pictures of and maybe release to market as well.

I hope very much that I can provide a positive contribution in here.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Fozzy! It's good to meet ya!
    Just positive attitude postings are a great contribution to the community!
    But if you want to design that locomotive card model, that would be a heck of a contribution as well!:twisted:

Well, if you can produce a model of that K36, I'll definitely buy a copy!
    That is a beautiful design!8)
    You're already half way to a paper model right there!

By the looks of your 3D designs I'm sure any model you tackle will be great!

I look forward to seeing you around the forums, enjoy your stay here!:wink:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold - glad you are making your way back to the hobby.

I would say you have half the design battle already completed. Any little nudges you need for help will be found around here somewhere :)
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I agree. Now we have another designer around. That train will sure make a great cardmodel. (I didn't realise it was designed by you at first...)
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Holy Crow!! That's an awesome 3D model!! I'm sure if you have any issues if/when you decide to convert it to card, you'll get plenty of help here.

6. Fozzy The Bear

Thanks for the welcome guys....

I think the K36 would be a long term design project. Maybe a year or more to complete, even from this stage, which by the way took me nearly 8 months to do including the R&D.

It might have some scale issues at the moment, because for Train Simulator, it was effectively built at full size in the software. certainly there will be a lot of structural issues to work out, because as a 3D software model you can just hang things together without thinking about the internal construction.

If I did do it, I'd want it to be as close to perfect as possible, and as such it'd be likely to turn into a complex large part count Halinski type model.... I'll have a think about it. Not going to make any promises right now.

In the meantime, I'm already working on another model that may interest rail enthusiast just as much.... more on that one later.

Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  7. Wecome, Fozzy
    There are a lot of designers hanging around here, and a lot of discusions about software and so, there must be a way to 'unfold' your 3d design into a cardboard model.. just ask around, and some great builds, like Flu's locomotves http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4451
  8. Fozzy The Bear

Thanks Billy,
    Yes I can already unfold parts in the software that I use. Simply because it's possible to unwrap textures. The difficulty will come from the fact that many parts will need to re-designed. It might look like a complex model, but in fact a lot of the percieved detail is in the textures. It was originally built as a relatively "low polygon count" model so that it would work well in Train Simulator.

Thanks for the link to Flu's build thread. I've been monitoring those in the last couple of months and downloaded the full thread build diary, because it certainly helps with techniques.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

a good part of card modeling is in the textures, not the complexity of the parts. Sounds like you might be 3/4 instead of half way there :D
  10. Fozzy The Bear

True, but if only it were that simple... ROFL :cry:

Most of the textures are too low a resolution to be any good once they are scaled onto a 1/25th real world model. I'd have to redraw them all again from scratch. Which is part of why this would be a long term project and part of why I'm not going to make promises I might not be able to keep.

I can see you're keen for me to actually do this one though :grin:

As I said I've got another project which will come out first though, more on that in a few weeks time....

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I grew up in Colorado. The logo on that train is so familiar and associated with my childhood, that I'm suprised and delighted to see a Rio Grande Engine being built by someone in the UK.

My hometown is Aspen, Colorado. Aspen once had two railroadescoming into town. One was the Rio Grand and the other was the (lets see if I can dredge this from memory?) Midland?

The Midland tracks were pulled up years ago and replaced with a highway. The Rio Grande tracks were pulled up when I was about six years old. The right-of-way is now a bikepath and hiking trail.

I also worked for awhile as a whitewater rafting guide on the Upper Arkansas River. The Rio Grande (functioning) track ran right next to the river. The Leadville and Buena Vista area in the Upper Arkansas Valley once had all sorts of wonderful railroad stuff. Do you have plans for doing the area or related models of equipment?

I sure could be tempted into doing mining equipment and trains such as once existed in Lake County(Leadville and Buena Vista) and Pitkin County(Aspen). I'm mostly interested in small watercraft. There used to be a big railroad yard with roundhouses. Buena Vista has a model train club with a large train layout and museum. The guys in the club can go on at great length about the details of railroad history.

I once looked into the history of mining technology. I found that much of it was originally developed in Cornwall--your part of the world.

12. cjd

cjd Member

hi from just up the road - i'm in north devon

13. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Howdy, where abouts in cornwall are you from? I have spent many summer holidays there, wish I lived closer (Kent is quite a trek to west cornwall) I love body boarding and would like to do more, I can pull a pretty good 360 flat spin. Round my parts (Whitstable) everyone is into windsurfing or kiteboarding as there is no surf on the Thames Estuary or the channel but both of these sports are expensive and besides the sea round here might be warmer then the Atlantic but it stinks and is a horrid brown colour. Cornwall is a beautifull part of the world and has so much machinery, shipping and millitary history there would never be a lack of things to inspire model building or design. I know if I lived near Culdrose I would be there all time watching the heli's and taking pics to help me make models of them, a model of Goonhilly could be cool as well.
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Goonhilly! One of my first professional modelling jobs was to make a 1:400 scale model of the whole site, which was then on display in the 'control tower' building, which was being converted into a visitors centre. The model was mostly used so that the guides could indicate which dish did what; apparently it was very useful when the fog rolled in, and you couldn't actually see the dishes! Anyway, the model was my first contact with photo etching. I don't think the model is there anymore though. I'll see if I can dig out some of the pics I took. Those dishes would make fantastic paper models!

15. Fozzy The Bear

Thanks Lizzie, very nice to hear from you. I kind of heard the same things from people living in or who grew up in Colorado, when I originally designed the Train Sim model. I've always loved Colorado Narrow Guage engines and never had the opportunity to visit and see them for real.

I live just outside of Hayle... in a small village. I work in St Ives. So living in and around Hayle is wonderful inspiration. The remains of Harvey's Foundry, where Richard Trevithick worked and designed a lot of his machinery (the worlds first road locomotive, the worlds first railway locomotive etc etc...) Lots of industrial heritage here. As you say, lots of marine heritage, lots of architectural heritage as well. All in all it's a wonderful place to live.

Yes RNAS Culdrose is a great place to visit. They have an open day once a year and have a great Air show with lots of interesting aircraft flying in. I got to sit in a MIG29 there two years ago :-D

Your model most certainly is still there Tim. It's now located in part of the new visitors centre, rather than in the control tower. The control tower is now in part of the high security area, which you only get to on the tour bus. But it was still on display last time I went over there....

Also Hi to you Chris...

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  16. Darwin

Darwin Member

Julian, good to hear from another Cousinjack. My grandfather emigrated from Cornwall nearly a century ago. He had a ticket to come across on the Titanic, but traded with a friend who had to get across the pond as quickly as possible. He actually crossed on the Carpathian, the first rescue ship to reach the Titanic sinking site. His friend was one of those lost in the sinking. My father was able to do some visiting with the family members who stayed in England while waiting his turn to join in the fracas in France late in 1944. Someday I would like to visit there myself. Welcome to our group.
  17. Fozzy The Bear

Hi Darwin,
    Interesting!! Some of the Titanic victims are buried in the Balnoon Cemetery in St Ives, near where I work. If your Grandfathers friend was recovered, he may be there.

In the 1970's they shot a lot of scenes for the film, "Raise The Titanic" in St Ives... there are shots of Alec Guinness coming out of the Sloop Inn and shots of what appears to be the cemetery. The production crew recreated a cemetery for this on the Island at St Ives Head. Failing to realize that they were just 300 yards from the real thing!!! until somebody local pointed it out to them and asked why they were going to the trouble of faking it when the real thing is just over there.. :-D LOL

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.