Hello from a newbie. (test)

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge Robyn.

If you ever have any problems or questions about trains this is the place to ask them. Sometimes it may take a while for the the persons that know th answeres to come on but sooner or later they will show themsevles

R

Robyn Watkins

My gosh it did!!! Oh joy of joys!!!!

Allow me the pleasure of introducing myself. My name is Robyn Watkins and I'm the President & CEO/Master Mechanic/Enginner/Track Inspecter (and other jobs that are too numerous to mention) of the Carolina Rail-Road, my little "N"-pire that exist on a 3X6 ft table. I had stumbled upon the site about a year ago and had been lurking until now when I screwed up enough courage to sign-up.

One of the reasons that I had stuck around for so long (well three reasons, actually) is the modelwork that has been showcased here by Tyson Rayles, Catt, & Charlie (Yep, all three of you are to blame!!!:p ). I enjoy the photos of all three of your layouts!!!

Another reason that I've signed up is that the atmosphere here seams less tense. I think that the folks here hadn't forgotten that model railroading is suppose to be FUN!! (oh my, I said the "F" word didn't I).

Anyway enough of my rambles. Look foward to having fun here!!!

R

Robyn Watkins

FWIW: You know, that first post reminds me of that Verizon Wireless TV commercial where the guy is walking around saying "Can you hear me now?....GOOD!":D

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Hey Robyn, WELCOME home to the Gauge. Everybody here is nice and your right Trains the Thing. If you have any questions about anything just ask and you will receive a fist full of answers from the ones that know. Once again Welcome, Jim :rolleyes: ;)

R

Robyn Watkins

Tyson, I'd love too, but right now there is not a lick of scenery on my pike as I type this unless you want to consider flat pink styrofoam "scenery". While there are many areas in the Carolinas that have that "wonderful" red clay dirt, I highly doubt that my layout can pass for any part of the Carolinas at the moment other that a GIANT pink Owens-Corning pancake field!!!:D

Ah well, it'll come someday. At least I have a layout finally going beyond the planning stage.

Why did it take so long? Because I had been fighting with myself over what railroad to model and if I wanted to follow an actual rail line. I have to admit it but alot of the lines that operate in the Carolinas interest me and it was hard for me on finding one that I would enjoy modeling.

Finally, I realized that these internal battles with myself was getting me nowhere fast, so I decided to "proto-lance" my own shortline/regional railroad-one that would allow me to maintain connections with CSX and NS, while at the same time allow me to select industries that interest me.

So that's my story. Now I need to get to work on it!!!:)

R

Robyn Watkins

Clerk, I'll see what I can do. I have to forwarn you that my digital camera has been giving me problems lately.

This will be my first N scale railroad that I have ever built although I was an HOer untill 2001 when I've switched over to N. I've never had any regreats about it, just wish that I had done it sooner since I had never had the space to build even a small HO layout that would not take up a lot of space.

Oh well, that was then and this is now.

R

Robyn Watkins

Well, my camera has bit the dust....nuts!!!:( I'll see if my parents will loan me theirs, but it may be awhile before I can post some pics since they are out of town at the moment.

As far as my benchwork, it's really not much to look at, just a 3x6 piece of 2 inch foam stuck inside of a box frame with 1X3's for support and bracing. Legs are those folding table legs that have become popular with small layout builders over the past few years. I've chose to build a box frame due to the fact that I may have to move someday and I want to keep the layout as light as possible so that I can move it. As an added benefit, I can add scenery below track level since the foam is easy to work with although it is quite messy.

I am planning to use Atlas's Code 55 track since I like the looks of it even though I would have to convert all of my rolling stock over to low profile wheelsets. I haven't decided yet if I want to go to DCC on this layout, but since I like the idea of having 2 trains operate at the same time, it remains a strong possibility that I will go ahead and do it before I wind up with a huge locomotive fleet.

C

Catt

Guess I better get my welcome in here too.Robyn welcome to the Gauge,glad to see that you have joined us.I am looking forward to seeing pics of your little layout wether it is pink or any other colour.:D

Feel frre to ask any questions because someone here will have the answer you need.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
all the above. As you know after lurking for the past year this group has a lot going in N as well as the other scales. You can learn a lot in each of the forums. There is a lot of good modeling going on around the world and you can see it all here.

Ask questions, provide your insight to others. You will enjoy the experience.

welcome aboard.

:) :)

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Welcome Robyn :) ...sounds like you will fit right in here!! This is the best natured forum group I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Ditto what David said.....

and post pics no matter what the state of construction, it all fascinates us!

Enjoy!!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Welcome to The Gauge Robyn!
Looking forward to hearing more on your layout, & how you're coming along with it!
And yes, we LOVE pictures!
We also love pink styrofoam fields, & plaid skies (we'll never let Rory live that one down :D )!
You've picked a good place to be, & I'll gladly assume any blame for causing somebody to sign up!