Hello frm Alabama

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by westmalle8, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westmalle8

westmalle8 New Member

Hello to all from Alabama. I only hack at being a cardstock modeler. I've built a fairly simple Mig15 and worked at a few others. New to this forum, I signed up a while back but forgot to come back until looking thru old emails yesterday.
  2. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Howdy westmalle8. Welcome to the nut house. From the heart of East Tennessee.

Us Southerners have to stick together, you know. :)
  3. JanoNath

JanoNath New Member

I'll stick with yall too, NE Alabama here
  4. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

How do! South Alabama here.

Welcome! What type of card models interest you most and how long have you been at it? Got any pictures? :mrgreen: We love pictures!
  5. westmalle8

westmalle8 New Member

I'm in North Alabama, outside Huntsville.

I prefer Airplanes - military - sort of any era.

As for photos, the short answer is none. The few I had finished a French d.510 (a freebie) and had started to scale it up, a MiG-15, a partial P-51, plus a couple of others. And then we moved...The paper models did not survive the move very well. I have just gotten to the point of getting back into it and am looking at doing a couple of WW1 airplanes.

But, yesterday I was exploring around looking for free or pay models of Civil War Iron Clads. I'd like to do a U.S.S. Monitor and maybe a Confederate ship or two. I've seen the guy who had scratch built a CSS Palmetto State (Wow!).
  6. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Hey westmalle, I'm from KY, but I'm in Huntsville every 3-6 months for training/etc. I'm usually west of Huntsville, past 565, but not quite to i-65...we always stay at a Holiday Inn in front of a big mall. Sometimes we are in downtown at the Emassy Suites...maybe we can meet up next time I'm down there..probably May.

7. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I've driven thru Alabama before. Howdy from West Texas.
  8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Hello from the UK. Looking forward to coming to your state in 2009, already in the planning stage. Hoping to spend a month in the US next year. Going to take in a shuttle launch (praying really hard for that), visit a few old friends in Houston. Also visit a few other states in the south and yours is on the list.

Apart from a trip Huntsville, I have not really planned anything else for Alabama. So any ideas would be helpful. I normally only get a air ticket, then find hotels when I get to where ever I'm going. I also try to use public transport, bus, trains etc. Prefer it that way. Meet more people, than when sat in a car.
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You should consider adding Mobile to your list, Paul. Among other things we have the USS Alabama WWII Battleship, USS Drum WWII submarine, an SR71, B-52 and a B-25 along with many other planes. Also Bellingrath Gardens (beautifil plants and flowers year-round), deep-sea fishing if that's your thing, the site of the last battle of the Civil War, restored antebellum homes, the list goes on. We (not New Orleans) are even the home of Mardi Gras. How many of you shall we expect for dinner? We'd love to meet you and your family. That goes for any of the rest of you, just give us a few weeks advance notice and please, don't all come at once :eek:.
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks for the tips. Mobile was on the visiting list. Right on the gulf coast. Been to Galveston before and swam in the gulf, in November and it was still warm. Lovely.
  11. westmalle8

westmalle8 New Member

Not to be technical, but the Blackbird at the U.S.S. Alabama is a Lockheed A-12, former CIA bird, not USAF. I've been having conversations witha gentleman in the southern end of the state as there is an A-12 here in North Alabama, as well, at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. (Our A-12 has a distintion of having over-flown North Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and North Korea as part of Project Oxcart.)
  12. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Whoops! You are absolutely correct. I stand corrected. Thank you.

That is neat. Fascinating stuff isn't it? Ever read the book "Deep Black"?
  13. davelant

davelant Member

I'm in Huntsville. For those who may happen to visit, the model show here on October 4th is inviting paper modelers to bring their works for display, and our model club welcomes all, meeting at 7 pm, first Wednesday of every month at Southerland's Hobby. Let me know if you want details. Feel free to contact me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.