Hello Everybody!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Ajax, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Member

Hi all!

It’s a great place you all have here, so I thought I’d join in on the fun! :D I’m a college graduate student living in the Detroit-Metro area and I’m a real novice at card modeling. How much of a novice? Well… I’ve managed to build precisely one card model so far. :oops: But building it was so much fun, I think I’m hooked. However, as you might expect, I’ve got LOTS of questions about card modeling so I hope I won’t try your patience too badly!

My real passion in modeling is ships, but that isn’t to say I don’t like airplanes as well, and airships, and submarines, and spacecraft… err, you get the picture. ;) What really caught my eye as I began to look more closely into card modeling was the simply fantastic selection of WWI warship models that are available. Recently, I purchased JSC’s kit for the HMS Lion (one of my favorite warships of all time), and started scouring the internet to find more information on card modeling tools and techniques - and google lead me here. I now recognize that I almost certainly don’t have the skills to properly build a model as complex as Lion (and I do tend to be a bit of a perfectionist :D ), so I’ve decided to put that project on hold for awhile and instead concentrate on improving my skills by working my way up through less difficult models. As I venture to plan out my card modeling education, any advice, suggestions, or kit recommendations would be most welcome!

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

Welcome aboard, AJ. There is a wealth of advice available in the group, you just have to ask....and remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, although occasionally you may get a stupid answer :wink: Since you are just getting started, you might want to take a trip to WWW.freepapertoys.com and do a little browsing. Be careful with the downloading, though...it gets to be addictive. If you are getting into boats, you might want to check out the JSC harbor launch Monica. I think HobbyFactory (see Links section, commercial models) still has it available. Gotta agree with you about the Lion...definitely on my "someday I'm gonna build that puppy" list.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome Aboard Ajax,

I agree with Darwin that you'll find this site different from most others in that you'll learn really useful techniques and methods that will more than pay for your time spent perusing it.

Avoid jumping into the really complex models till you've experienced building simpler models. Also start building with models that are either downloaded or can (and have been) scanned. This allows repeated messups to be reapeated until it's done right or a right proper workaround has been figured out.

Again welcome aboard! Gil
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Welcome aboard Ajax! Set course for www.digitalnavy.com and have a look at some magnificent paper models, ships and aircraft, and especially their free download page. Soooo many people have started out this hobby because of Romans freebies! Then keep us posted with your progress!

5. barry

barry Active Member

Welcome aboard, as well as Digital Navy try Yuki's Oliver Hazard it looks easy but it will teach you all the skills you need. It's only 1 a one sheet model so you can bin it as often as like until you are happy.

6. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Thanks for the welcome and the link, Darwin. And you’re right that quickly gets to be addictive! :D I was browsing through some of the other threads on the board, and noticed some comments about having to rescale some of the parts. How often would you say that problem usually comes up?

Absolutely, that is one beautiful model! I decided to buy it after I came across some pictures of the completed model at http://www.marcle.co.uk/lion.html which completely blew me away. Up until then I hadn’t realized what incredible results you could achieve with card modeling. To think of what I’m been missing out on all these years only working on plastic kits!

Thanks, Gil! I think I’ve already tripled my knowledge browsing through the threads, and I’ve barely scratched the surface yet!
    I think I’ll definitely follow your advice on that, especially with all the free models that are apparently available on the ‘net. Also, after checking out Ron’s recommendations in “Tools of the Trade†it would seem I’m going to have to dedicate my hobby dollars to building up my toolbox in the near future. I should’ve mentioned that the one model I’ve constructed is the R100 available at the Currell site and being able to reprint parts did indeed turn out to be a major help. ;) :D Yeah, that seems the best way to go for now.

Thanks for the welcome, Tim! And wow, that is a fantastic site! It’s really great to see the gallery of how people have done building their models. And more free downloads to boot!

Thanks, barry! I’ll definitely check that one out. I’m putting together a list of the recommended models and a few others that have caught my eye from the links provided and we’ll see where this takes me. And I’ll certainly keep you all posted on my progress… and concurrent pleas for help. ;) :D

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hello Ajax . . . there are a lot of tools of the trade, and for the most part, I have improvised a number which I use most of the time. One of my favorites is a straight needle which has been imbedded in the end of a small dowel cut down to a nice handling size for me. It allows me to put a small amount of glue right where I want it...though my fat fingers generally get in the way and end up moving the glue around 8v) I also have a number of different size dowel rods cut to six inches I use for rolling parts. One of my other hobbies is stamp collecting. I have found the spade type Stamp Tongs used in the hobby very useful in paper modeling. Bottom line, its a world fun of usefulness out there and what works, works. 8v) Welcome! and enjoy the fun of paper modeling.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks for the info, Ashrunner! When I built the R100 I was using the toothpick method for applying small dabs of glue to the tabs, though that didn’t always work satisfactorily so I’ll keep your needle tool in mind. With regard to the dowels for rolling parts, what is the diameter range between the smallest and largest dowels you use?

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Ajax, in response to how often one has to rescale parts...to some extent, it may depend on how much a slight mismatch bothers you. I also suspect that the software you use to print out the parts may be the biggest contributor to ill-fitting parts, as I found out recently. I printed out a sheet from my favorite drawing program (ImageForge), and the parts pages were resized from what I knew I drew them to be...and the amount of reduction in the vertical was different from the horizontal. After a hint from Maurice, I tried converting the file format to pdf, printed out from Acrobat reader, and the size was perfect. One does occasionally find a single part that for some reason is mis-sized. When this happens, I use my favorite drawing program to correct it. Overall, about 80% of the kits I've built have gone together with only minor fit problems, and of the other 20%, usually only one or two parts need some electronic nudging to get under control.
  10. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The dowel sizes I use are 3/4 inch (19.25 mm), 3/8 inch (9.5 mm), 5/16 inch (8 mm), 1/4 inch (6.25 mm), 1/16 inch (5 mm) and 1/8 inch (3.3 mm). I found them at the only hobby where I live and use the 5/16 inch dowel for the handle of my glue tool. I still would like a few different sizes, like a one inch and half inch, but haven't located any locally yet.
  11. Darwin

Darwin Member

Regarding Ash's needle tool....dressmakers call it a bodkin, and they are available in most fabric/needlework supply stores, and in most craft stores. Everything I needed to know about paper modeling tools I learned at Michaels Crafts. Take a stroll through the scrapbooking section and you will find a wealth of stuff that can be used in our hobby.
  12. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks, Darwin, that’s reassuring to know. And that’s an interesting point you make about the print software resizing parts. Now that you mention it, I have noticed on some printouts that Netscape resizes documents differently than Internet Explorer.

13. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks, Ash. Looks like I’ll be adding dowels in those sizes to my shopping list! :D

14. Ajax

Ajax Member

Neat! I think I’ll look into getting one of those then.

I’ll certainly do that and see what I can find. I imagine after I’ve got a few more models under my belt, I’ll be better at recognizing potential card modeling uses for items that would otherwise never have occurred to me before.

15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Darwin...thats one of my favorite places to go for tools, but as for talking to the locals about what they have and what I can adopt, its a useless struggle for me. I went to the Michaels south of me here (I luckily have one within a reasonable drive) and was looking for self closing tweezers...forcep style I think they are called. After looking around for about 30 minutes and not finding what I needed, I decided to ask one of the floor workers. I described what I wanted, and she immediately knew what I was talking about and quickly added, "We don't carry anything like that." and walked off. I shrugged and in my typical central Oregon attitude, thought, "just another something I need to drive to the big city to find," and started to walk out of the store. As I passed the beading section, something caught the corner of my eye and lo and behold, the very tweezers I had been looking for, and in the same aisle the woman I had just asked about them had been working. Either she didn't understand me, or just didn't like me enough to help me (I get that a lot...the way I look at people has a tendency to scare them). In any case, scour every section of Michaels and be open to what you can use. It is a great place to get supplies...and even more so since the local store has started carrying glue made by companies other than Elmer's.
  16. cardfan

cardfan Member

Check to see if there are any scrapbooking stores or rubber stamping supply stores in your area. On top of several nice tools (at a really reasonable price too) they have great paper selections. Of course, I have found I am usually the only male in the building. I get a lot of "are you lost sir?" looks.

17. Darwin

Darwin Member

Another section of the store to wander through is that carrying Quilling supplies. Quilling involves taking little strips of paper and rolling them up into tight cylinders....does a tool that does that sound a bit useful?
  18. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

glue applicator/ vise

I have not built a lot of cardmodels but here are a couple of techniques that I'm practising with as I struggle through my first ship model.

Bodkins/needles are useful for applying glue but scrap pieces of stiff paper can also be used to smear small amounts of glue to the backside of parts. I use this alot when making up butt type corner joints. This works best with runny glues like UHU TWIST and GLUE or plain white/yellow wood glue but not with ACC or Aleene's tacky glue. Dip the paper in the glue then scrap off the excess against a scrap piece of wood or metal until a thin layer of glue is left on the paper. Then touch the paper to the impending joint to transfer the glue to the model parts.

A small desk vise is very useful for holding dowels steady when making butt joints on cylinders or cones. It frees up both hands for manipulating the paper. I keep the model parts from sticking to the dowel (brass or aluminum) by putting a small strip of cigarette paper on the dowel where the paper joint will occur. If you wet the dowel surface a bit with water or spit the cigarette paper will not move around during the glueing operation. I prefer metal dowels because they don't get accidently stuck to the parts as much, wood can soak up excess glue and become a permanent part of the joint :(

The quilling tools sounds neat, I'm goin to have to find or make one.

19. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks for the additional suggestions, guys!

I like the idea of the small vise to hold the dowel and I’ll be checking if there is any store in the area that carries quilling items.

20. Darwin

Darwin Member

You should be able to find quilling supplies in any major crafts store. Michaels Crafts carries them, as does Ben Franklins. Having just restocked, I thought I might mention to look for quilling paper as well. It is precut strips (in about any color or selections of color) about 1/8-inch wide and 12 inches or so long. Using it and the quilling tool (essentially a wire about 1/16-inch diameter with a slot cut into the end to hold the end of the quilling paper, with appropriate handle), small cylindrical parts such as winches, ventilators, etc. can be made in mere seconds. Just lightly coat the paper with glue, twirl the tool between thumb and forefinger until you get the desired diameter, and snip off the free end of the paper. Beats hell out of trying to hold and butt-joint little rectangles of paper. It is a bit pricy (about the price of admission for a six-pack of premium quality brew for 250 strips of paper), but well worth the savings in time and frustration.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.