Hello everybody, another new guy

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Pics look good. My wife brought me a present from work. Since she is an Rn at a local hospital, none of the presents she brings me from work are ever pleasant. This time I got a stomach virus that is aparantly going around the hospital. She had it last Wed & Thur. I had it Friday and Saturday, and she had to send an aid home on Saturday with the same thing. Another nurse on her floor had it last week at the same time she did. Anyway, to make a long story short without too much detail, I've been away from the computer for a couple of days.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
CNWman said:
Thanks J:thumb: But still, those pics are everything ELSE train related I neede to post and people have seemingly frogot about this thread:cry: :(

Such is the nature of forums CNWman. Sometimes we won't get as much repsonse as we hope and other times we get pages of replies to an off ahnd comment! :)
Give it some time. Its the weekend and people actrually do other things besides check The Gauge...(or so I'm told! :D )

Patience! :wave: Oh, by the way, I really like the snack stand!
Ralph

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
oops

Ralph said:
Such is the nature of forums CNWman. Sometimes we won't get as much repsonse as we hope and other times we get pages of replies to an off ahnd comment! :)
Give it some time. Its the weekend and people actrually do other things besides check The Gauge...(or so I'm told! :D )

Patience! :wave: Oh, by the way, I really like the snack stand!
Ralph

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just so eager to get some imput on my layout that I froget other people have stuff they need to dosign1 As for the Snack stand, it's a prebuilt snack bar by Atlas that has been labeled & weathered by us (my dad and Me):thumb: The handpainted sign and post go with it. It's called "kay's" in memory of a nice little ice cream parlor (not like the stand) which was (conicidentaly) near a train station on the border of Boston,TN and Boston,VA (the town is split in half over the state line:) ) It only recently went out of busness from it's location (near the edge of town where most people usualy don't go) and is now called State Street Sweet Shop (say THAT 3 time fast:D ). That blank spot will have Kays painted on it and the sign (which other than the blue being where red should have gone) will be placed near it, just like the real version:thumb:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
CNWman said:
I work my butt off getting these pictures as good as I can and I label them 13 minutes before midnight and no one's commenting on them?:confused:
Patience CNWman, because I live in a different timezone :wave:
I like your pictures but I really don´t understand what a lot of them have with model railroad to do :D
You say "younger me", how old are you this beautiful day?
And finally, what track are you using?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
berraf said:
Patience CNWman, because I live in a different timezone :wave:
I like your pictures but I really don´t understand what a lot of them have with model railroad to do :D
You say "younger me", how old are you this beautiful day?
And finally, what track are you using?

Ok, first of all, which ones don't make sense to you? I can explain them in detail (as I said, it was pretty dang late when I wrote the discriptions). Secondly, I can't say how old I am because my dad says so. I use Bachman Nickel-Silver rail because that's all that my dad got. I have good equipment because we didn't buy one of those crappy starter sets, but instead bought all the things seperatley at the same time. The track is actualy just two expander sets put together with a single crossing/plug/re-railer. I use a Railpower 1370 controler (DC) too. Essentaly, we're just noobies at advanced MRRing (making and running a train on just a circle we have got down patsign1 ) which is one reason my dad let me join The-Gauge is so we can get sugestions from experienced modelers. :thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Oh yeah, one more thing

The Prarie Star Elevator came with more decals than it should. closer inspection of a picture of the actual Grain Mill (sold seperatley) shows that the extras actualy go onto the actual mill and not the Elevator. Can anyone comfirm if you need to buy the elevator for the decals of the Mill?:confused:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
CNWman said:
The track is actualy just two expander sets put together with a single crossing/plug/re-railer. I use a Railpower 1370 controler (DC) too. Essentaly, we're just noobies at advanced MRRing which is one reason my dad let me join The-Gauge is so we can get sugestions from experienced modelers.
Two expander sets are enough for the time being but still got the possibility to expand when time and money come together.
The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy model railroading :thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Maybe, in the somewhat distant future

berraf said:
Two expander sets are enough for the time being but still got the possibility to expand when time and money come together.
The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy model railroading :thumb:

The table alone cost somewhere around the 1-2 hundred dollar range, it took about 24 hours combined over a weekend where we had to vacate our garage to build, had faulty instructions (it's the table from MRR's mega-how-to guide with the DVD, the plans for the benchwork were diferent on both the mag AND the DVD, so it was confusing) and the only place I can see it expanding is where my Gamecube is (you can see it in the backround of some of my shots, it's close to that T.V. in the back) so it's a possibility in the future, if money,space,and time allow.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
The Riverside Junction

Ok, The layout is now going to be called Riverside Junction. The Riverside Junction is a nice little grain farm community formerly served by the CNW and now the UP had posibly the only F3A CNW loco left in a shed which hadn't been opened for at least 10 years. THe loco, no. 4056, was the unofical mascot of the town, and so the nice people at UP decided to totaly fix it up while giving it's paint job a refurnishing in true CNW clours and so had it as a small switcher type train. It runs the daily tasks of interchanging cars at the elevator and droping them off on a siding just outside of town where it's close to the mainline so passing trains can drop off empty boxcars/covered hoppers while picking up loaded ones. That way everyone is happy (including the CNWHS, which in my world, has now made Riverside it's new headquarters there soley because of 4056:thumb: ). Just thought that this should be moved here 'cause I'm showing my progress on this thread and the backstory is a step, right?:D

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Riverside Junction!
That surely is a good name on a good layout.
Sounds like you already have a good idea about the trafic at Riverside Junction. That´s good and keeps everyone happy, just as you said :)

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Nice, its good you have some ideas and a story line:). Now what you do (I know you said your going to work the track plan as it goes from the table), but when you have some free time, dump your track plans out on some paper. It is okay if they are doodles, actually doodles are probably best. That way you can start to put the track in its' place on your table, and see if they work out. I did a ton of track plan doodling before I decided on my final plan, so it is a good way to gather your thoughts. Also, its super fun to dream big :).

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
check

Chrisdapos said:
Nice, its good you have some ideas and a story line:). Now what you do (I know you said your going to work the track plan as it goes from the table), but when you have some free time, dump your track plans out on some paper. It is okay if they are doodles, actually doodles are probably best. That way you can start to put the track in its' place on your table, and see if they work out. I did a ton of track plan doodling before I decided on my final plan, so it is a good way to gather your thoughts. Also, its super fun to dream big :).

Already did that part. If there were some papers laying on the woodwork in some of the pics, those would be the sketches. I even did a four page 2X2 version of the plan in my best finete detail!:D

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Oh yeah, and that shed that the F3A was in is a machine shop that was abandoned when the CNW began losing power. The whole town suffered from that. Now it's at it's former glory once again, keeping the CNW loco up and running to serve the community!:D

in real life, the siding that the dark green boxcar was on in the backround in some pics will be where the shop will be (once my dad and I can get one at our LHS). It will be in a small area just inside of the curve.:thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
CNWman said:
The Prarie Star Elevator came with more decals than it should. closer inspection of a picture of the actual Grain Mill (sold seperatley) shows that the extras actualy go onto the actual mill and not the Elevator. Can anyone comfirm if you need to buy the elevator for the decals of the Mill?:confused:

I still need ansers for this. Please, I need to know this if it's true

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I couldn't confirm that. It seems unlikely that you need to buy one to get dcals for the other. Just a thought. Maybe you just lucked out and got extras. Maybe they use the same package of decals for both kits.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Jim Krause said:
I couldn't confirm that. It seems unlikely that you need to buy one to get dcals for the other. Just a thought. Maybe you just lucked out and got extras. Maybe they use the same package of decals for both kits.

I doubt it. although some of these decals look like they are suposed to go on the Grain elevator, they are only 1/4 of the sheet, 1/3 tops. Maybe I got the sheet for the actual mill instead? Now, i'm not complaining. If I did however, I still can use some of these decals anyway....:D

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Here's a pic of the "other" building that conects with my elevator:
933-2914.gif

I have all those decals on my sheet with the ones for the elevator! I'm looking at my decal sheet and the pic right here at the keyboard!