Hello!!!! Can you help me??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by HO-Scaler, Dec 25, 2004.

1. HO-Scaler

HO-Scaler New Member

I just got my great grandfathers HO train set. All of the track fits together but the engine part won't work. Sorry for my illiteracy of the train lingo but I'll try to pick it up. We are probably going to put a 4x8 layout up and I have an idea on what I want to do. The main problem is taht I can't seem to find a decent place to buy teh HO trains over the internet. Please post your websites you buy from and any place to find a local dealer with a website. Ummmmm, I can't seem to think of anythign else taht will help but I can probably give you any information you want so please, SOMEBODY help me out here.

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge. Hope to help you get your gandfather's train up and running.
  3. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: Welcome to the Gauge. Your loco probably needs taking apart and a good cleaning and oiling, includeing your track. If you could post a picture of the loco someone here will guide you throught this. :thumb: Jim
  4. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Welcome to the Gauge.
    Hope you get that train running.
    Here's a good one that I've had no problem with:
  5. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

A little bit of help----

I am a grandfather and just took an old train set out of storage after 25 years. My locomotive wouldn't run either. I posted the easy repair on the HO train forum. Do you feel comfortable taking the engine apart? If so, perhaps you can find my post and read it. Don't you just hate it when you don't get a lot of response to your question? Perhaps if you could tell everybody what make and model your engine is, it would help. I am sure everybody on The Guage would be happy to be your mentor. Or you can email me at: XavierJ123@aol.com :thumb:
  6. One thing to do right away is to clean the track. Brass rail will oxidize and this surface'tarnish' doesn't conduct electricity very well. You can dor this easily since you have the track in seperate pieces. Get some very fine sandpaper, say 400 or 600 grit, and just lightly scuff the top of the rails untill they're bright brass again. Also, check the rail joiners that connect the track....you need to have electrical continuity between one piece of track and another. If that's stll not the solution, take your loco to your nearest local hobby shop (LHS) that does simple repairs. The loco will need to be hooked up to a power pack and have the wheels cleaned. That should do it! Let us know how you make out.