hello all.

generaldiaz

so in the last few weeks I have stumbled on some of these paper models floating around the internet of some of amazingly accurate models. this lead me here. I have in the past built cardboard models of mostly halo ships with moderate (that's being generous, I have had a high failure rate.) success. I came here because this was where I heard there was a lot of models to download where I might be able to hone my skills and learn some of the tricks of the trade. and hopefully bring what I learn into my own creations and give back to the community.

I do have a few questions though.
1. what is the best place to start here, where should I go to learn some of the basics?
2. for downloads to try out what I am learning where might I go?
3. I heard from "Jay's Box of Sci-Fi CardToys" that was the website that got me here that you have to have a good standing to download, what does that mean exactly. is there a limit on what means you are in good standing?
4. other then patience and practice, what are some good things I could learn?
5. and im sure most people don't ask, but how is everyone doing?

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot.
You have come to the right place to learn about paper modeling (as a whole).
Not meaning to blow the trumpets for Zealot, but I have to say that Zealot is one of (if not) the best place to be to learn about paper modeling as a whole. We have MANY members here who are designers and are more than willing to share their knowledge, skills, and talent with those who are (truly) interested in learning.
This is an ACTIVE & INTERACTIVE place where like minded people can come to share informations, ideas, tips & techniques, as well as promote this WONDERFUL hobby. Not only that, but to help those who are new and (truly) interested in learning all that they can about paper modeling.

To answer your questions:
1. The best thing to do, is to look around at the different threads that interest you. Make posts in them, asking questions about the different techniques that were used in the building of that particular model. (*NOTE* Please only post in threads that are no older than three (3) months. If there is a thread that is older than that, please the original author of that thread a private message.)
Not only that, but follow current build threads that interest you (and make comments and ask questions there as well).

2. First off, in order to download anything from the RESOURCE Section, you have to have made a minimum of TEN (10) SUBSTANTIAL POSTS, and have an active account for a minimum of FOUR (4) WEEKS.
After that, I would suggest that you find an EASY model in the genre that you like and start building it!
Please post a build thread of that model (as well as other models that you make as well). Build threads are a GREAT way of showing off your work as well as highlighting any problem areas that you may have. That way, someone can give you more meaningful and accurate information and help.

3. Yes, Zealot is hosting ALL of Jaybat's models. What it means to "Be in good standings", is quite simple. Just follow the RULES & POLICIES, and do not cause problems. THAT (as they say) IS THAT!!!

4. There are MANY things that you can learn here. It would be very difficult to list them all. Just start looking at around and read the different threads. You will learn a GREAT DEAL by just simply reading the threads.

5. I am doing well. Thank you for asking!!!

If you have any further questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again welcome aboard.

I hope that yo enjoy yourself here.

I am looking forward to seeing your work!

generaldiaz

thank you Rhaven. at least I now have a starting point here. I hope to become an active member here and I will most defiantly post progress and some of my already completed ship models. and I hope someday to be able to give back to the community when I have learned to effectively make more objects.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot. Check out the Rules and Policies, everything is there. Send P.M.'s to the Administrators if you have questions about the Rules and Policies, it helps if you read if you have read them first. Welcome aboard. :)