Hello all

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by OldSalt, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Time to stop lurking and introduce myself.

I am a 62-year old; retired from the USN as a Chief Warrant Officer and from Newport News Shipbuilding/Tenneco/Nothrop-Grumman Newport News as a material requirements type for nuclear aircraft carrier overhauls. First model was a Comet stick and paper Piper Cub when I was six years old (much help from dear old Dad on that!) I have been building something pretty much for the last 56 years although the type of model and the medium have changed many times over the years. I was last involved with paper models in the 80s when I did a Bismarck, United States, an aircraft carrier (Kennedy?) and several smaller warships all by either JSC or Wilhelmshaven, I believe. Then I drifted back to miniatures wargaming for many years - playing, painting and selling under the eBay name "old_troll". I still have a garage full of Warhammer fantasy figures and several thousand cards from collectible (hah!) card games. I heard the old call of paper modelling a couple months ago and dusted off an old USS Maine model by Hamburg. I quickly realized that my skills needed some dusting also, so looked for information on the current state of affairs in paper/card modelling. Which brought me here...

From the posts I have read over the past few weeks it appears that the community is as friendly and helpful as any of the hobby communities and the wealth of info and construction photos are great!

My current "active" projects are the Dutch yacht and HMS Chatham 1:96 kits by Shipyard, the ancient USS Maine model mentioned above and the incredible USS Arizona (2004 version) from Digital Navy. I have ordered a silly number of additional kits - probably enough so my kids will inherit them - but you can never have too many kits on hand!!

I am in SE Virginia (just a couple miles from the Mariner's Museum) and still go down to watch the naval and commercial ships in Hampton Roads.

I hope to start uploading a few photos as my projects progress and look forward to becoming an active contributor.

Ron Spencer
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Ron

Great to have you around :D

Can't wait to see your build reports soon I hope :D

Have fun and if you need anything just ask, its a very good crew we have on hand here all willing to help in any way we can.

Welcome to the crew

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

A real, honest to goodness yardbird..., well not quite, your being on the Navy side and all. Nothing quite like a shipyard. It's a different World entirely once you pass the main gate.

Welcome aboard and back to the art of cardmodeling. And you're right, "You can never have enough kits"..., the one with the most kits in the end wins...,

Best regards, Gil
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

OldSalt....you are a man after my own heart. My first kit was a solid model of a cessna float plane, back in about 1949. Much similarity in the background, including the mineatures. My ex walked off with all of mine (but, all things considered, still worth going through the ex part). I do still have the first edition D&D manuals downstairs, along with a couple of Star Trek knockoff RPGs (and my Intellivision). Welcome to the forums....you gonna fit right in.
  5. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Thanks for the welcome. I have started posting project photos - hopefully thay will be of interest to some of you. See Category: Ships with the models below as the subject lines.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy OldSalt

Welcome to the forum, we are all glad to have ya here!

Greg aka GW
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.