Hello all you On30 people

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by obikonopa, Apr 6, 2006.

1. obikonopa

obikonopa New Member

I just wanted to say, "Hello" since I'm new here and there doesn't seem to be a lot of folks writting in here.

So for all you On30 people: Here is a little questionaire. Are you new to model railroading or have you been "railroading" long but just changed to On30? I am brand-stinkin' new to model railroading. What Engine(s) do you have and/or what is your favorite Engine (prototype/real)? I own the Bachmann 2-8-0 Outside Frame Consolidation and would like to get the new Bachmann 2-4-4 Outside Frame Forney when it comes out... As for the REAL Steam Engines, I am a big fan of the Small to Mid sized Steam Engines(from the "Forney" up to the 2-8-0 Consolidation). The Maine 2 footers like the Bridgton & Saco River #8 (it's a 2-4-4 outside frame), there is a 2-6-0 Mogul from the Surry, Sussex & Southampton Railway in Va. that is real nice looking. I guess I can't really pick an absolute favorite because there are a lot of great looking old Steam Engines. What time era are you modelling in? I hope to set my layout in the 1910's-1920's. And what "industry" or layout type are you going for? Mine will be a Logging/Mountain layout, a very NON prototypical layout as I plan to stick in things that I want and not neccesarily real, Kind of an Obi-Original railroad:) .

Well, I hope you all enjoy the day and I look forward to "chatting" with you soon. Regards, Obi
  2. Dragon

Dragon Member

Can't say I'm "new", but I am still working on my first layout.
    I'm running dual scales...HO primary, but On30 cause they are so darned CUTE! :)

In On30, I have the Shay, 0-4-0, 2-8-0 outside frame, and the new railtruck.
    After hearing they scrapped the idea of making a Vulcan Duplex, I was a little disappointed. I understand that it would be a small market, but that is one of my all time favorite engines (managed to score an almost mint brass one in HO).
    I'd love to get the climax, but funds are getting a little tight and I'd rather spend the money on someplace to RUN what I have, rather than turn into a "collector".

Welcome to the Gauge!
  3. webmaster

webmaster Member

I'm working on 1 & 1/2 layouts at the moment. The first is a logging switchback line which you can see at http://www.budgetwebsiteservices.co.uk/home/On30/ I haven't done anything else with the track work at the moment as I'm working on the rolling stock which will all be either kit or scratch built and the scratch built turntable. The second On30 is only a half at the moment, as it hasn't been started yet. It will be an operational mine and dump layout set in a coffee table. The 'Burnt river mine' model for it that I ordered from Valley Model Trains arrived this morning, so it's back to the workbench again. :)
  4. obikonopa

obikonopa New Member

Well that's three of us so far.... any other Newbies in here?

Dragon, Nice to here from you. I didn't know what a "duplex" was so I had to look it up(google), I found a Steam Engine that looks like a Heisler but w/o the gears sticking out of the side, it's a nice looking Engine, kind of a cross between a REAL BIG Forney and a Heisler:) .

Hello Webmaster, it sounds as if you are busy. Do you scratch build most of your rolling-stock? How about your Steam Engines? After getting my first Loco and taking it out of the box to have a look, I decided that it is going to be a while before I have enough courage to bash any Locomotive(very fragile looking). I am thinking about buying some "cabeese":D, and maybe some box-cars and try my hand at "fixin' 'em up". I think I saw a web-site (st.aubins station maybe) that has a clearance on some rolling stock for pretty cheap.

Well, I hope you folks have a nice day. later, Obi
  5. jcoop1

jcoop1 Member

Hello Obi & Others

I too am a On30 Nut..

Just have a bunch of Bachmann at the moment, but do have allot of "plans" for other bashes and scratches.

I have several of the porters, two railtrucks, one shay, and three of the Siderod Gas engines.

Layout will be a portable "L" that is 8' X 6' that is about 3' deep. That is the biggest size I can get in my car. it will be in two parts so that should work ok.

I plan on a big outer loop with some logging switchback in the middle. I would also like to have a Inglenook switching area if I have the room. Hopping for enough room so I can add a turntable and engine facility.

I will be out of town next week so I am hopping to take some supplies with me an make a bridge or two.. maybe some shorty wagons also....
  6. hminky

hminky Member

7. obikonopa

obikonopa New Member

Hello jcoop1, sounds like big plans in the making. I am still working on how to fit a layout in my little garden house.... I've been scribbling away on graph paper and I have 3-4 ideas in the works, not a lot of room though only 8.5'X11.5' and I need room for my work-bench and drawing/painting area.... but I will figure something out (jetrock gave me a pretty good idea on how to utilize the space).

hminky, Hello to you as well. I have visited you web-site many times. VERY HELPFUL for the new guys, lots of info in there. Thank you for setting that up.

Well all, have a good day. later, Obi
  8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

9. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Hello Obi and All: I've been in MR'ing for about 55 years to one degree or another. I'm one of those people who started with a Marx tinplate train around the Christmas tree. I belong to a club (HO) but have some On30 stuff currently on a shelf. At my age "bigger is better" visionwise. I worked in your country for a few months about fifteen years ago and was amazed at the number of model railroad hobbists in Sweden.
  10. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Hello Obi, my railroading has been a going thing for 35 years give or take a month or two.I own a shay, a porter, side rod gas mechanical, and the 2-8-0 consolidation. I enjoy the scratch building aspects of the On3O scale , besides I can actually see the fine detail!
  11. ukon30fan

ukon30fan 0n30 Rail Baron of Leeds

:wave: LO Obi
    A British On30 fan here - so far I'm building up the rolling stock and a few buildings.
    Started in about 2 years ago and still trying to get some real estate off the landlady ( The reluctant wife!)
    Locos consist of 4 Porters, 2 Shays, 3 Moguls, 1 Climax, 1 BLI C16, 1 Railtruck and 2 of the new 2-8-0s, 2 conversions from British Hornby OO locos, 2 other railtrucks ( 1 BVM Tin Chicken and one scratch built ) 1 scratchbuilt speeder on a Bachmann diesel EMD 40 drive chassis based on the McCabe Lumber speeder I saw advertised - think that's it.
    Waiting on the Keith Wiseman Shay Conversion kit for one of the current Shays.
    In the meantime I've just started out on scratch building a 2 stall Loco Shed for the 2-8-0s - going to build it from Coffee stirrers and scrap wood !sign1

12. obikonopa

obikonopa New Member

Hello All,

nice to hear from you.

Sumpter250 - what did you use for the water on that link? WOW!
    Jim Krause, Johnsonbar & ukon30fan - thanks for taking the time to say "hello". Looks like there is a lot of experience around here. I guess I found a good On30 forum.

I like trying to figure and/or try things out on my own but it's nice to know that there are people around that know what they are doing:)

I hope you all have a great weekend, regards, Obi
  13. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hey Obi,

Welcome to the gauge. On30 is a great gauge to be starting in, IMHO. I have a couple of the Bachmann 2-6-0's and plan on kit bashing an Athearn HO switcher unit into an On30 gas engine. I'm also finishing up some plans (drawings) for a Mexican narrow gauge caboose to scratch build with Grant Line detail parts and styrene. If you want cheap people to populate your layout, MTH sells them in bags of 200. They are grey and need to be painted but then no one else will have people that look like yours. VBG

Greg Elems
    Reno, NV
  14. webmaster

webmaster Member

All of my On30 is industrial. I don't make any steam loco's. Although I do like steam, because of space constraints I only use short 4 wheel, 2 axle diesels at the moment. I've scratched one loco (I'll take some pictures soon I promise) and I only really intend to scratch the waggons/cars. All other motive power will either be kit built or kit bashed.

Using shorties means that I can use much tighter radius curves, which is prototypical with narrow gauge industrial railways.
  15. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Obi: Don't assume that I know what I'm doing just because I've been around for a lot of years. All that means is that I've had a lot of time to make mistakes
  16. locolawyer

locolawyer New Member

How do you run both scales on one layout? How do the two scales look together?

17. Dragon

Dragon Member

They won't be technically on the same layout.
    THe On30 will be on an upper level, around-the-room shelf. Probably minimal scenery as you won't really see most of it from below.
    The HO scale will be on another shelf layout which is set about shoulder level.
    This shows a good view of the two different levels:

Even though On30 will fit on HO gauge track...the scenery on the lower level wil be exclusively set for HO Scale, so the On30 won't look right on it.
  18. belg

belg Member

Dragon, I like your idea of having both scales on two diffirent height but why no have the second shelf a little lower and just reverse the big and small section, I hope you get what I'm trying to say, if you have a 24" space between you will be able to view all the HO stuff and by offsetting the narrow side it will give you an offset, just a thought, Pat
  19. Dragon

Dragon Member

Mostly because I wanted something to allow for continuous running, and the only way to do that and still retain the use of the room as a bedroom (if we end up needing it - hint, hint, wink wink) is to keep that one up above the doors. I specifically did not want to worry about lift-gates, duck-unders, etc.
    And the HO height is set to bring it up to eye level, but also to leave room for some bookcases I'm going to build below.
    Plus, that leaves room for a dresser or headboard if we DO turn it back into a bedroom.

Can you imagine growing up with THAT as your bedroom? :)
  20. Haggis

Haggis New Member

I am modeling On30, early 1900's logging and mining layout. I am fairly new to the scale, i was part of a club which have a layout they take to shows in On30, so i bought some rolling stock for it. The layout is still being shown, so my stock still gets run.

I am in the middle of buying a new house with a big loft area, which i have been told i have a free run of. So i have decided to put a layout up there.

So i have a feeling i will be asking loads of questions and getting your thoughts.