Hello all indoor /outdoor

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by dvaughn, Jan 23, 2003.

1. dvaughn

dvaughn New Member

I am planning a indoor / outdoor plan. My question is this: would an ho scale be a bad idea? I would like to here any ideas for what scale to use. I have had ho layouts (indoor only) and would like to see if a indoor / outdoor would be ok? Sorry if this is in the wrong discussion board. I just found this site. Thanks for any advice in advance. :cool:
  2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hi dvaughn. While I can't help with your question, I did notice that this is your first post, so on behalf of everyone here, welcome to the Gauge!

:D Val
  3. dvaughn

dvaughn New Member

Thank you Val. I am excited to be here. I look forward to being more involved in the future. I have just finished a hand drawing and I will have it posted here later!!!
  4. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Welcome aboard The Gauge Dvaughn,

Any gauge can be used outdoors but the smaller gauges are, I suspect, more susceptible to the rigours of a full size RR. For example, if it's steel or iron it can rust, if it moves (turnout blades) they can get stuck, if it's timber it can rot or fall apart. Don't forget the wildlife, bird droppings, cats scratching around or possible rodents gnawing away at wiring or plastic bits.

Rusting...... remote turnouts always have an iron slug in their mechanism, these would need regular oiling in winter and or absolute weather sealing, even then condensation will be present. HO track is almost internationally made in nickelsilver with plastic sleepers so turnout blades which are used to maintain conductivity to the tracks they are set to may need to be hard wired.

I suspect most modellers would suggest G-gauge for outdoors layouts but that means bigger holes in the wall leading to your indoor portion, also you would need a larger space indoors for a given layout if you choose G-gauge.

Scenery contours are not a problem as a skin on cement can be used. Folliage and structures would be a major problem (I think).

O-gauge is a good compromise but is outwith my experience.

Do bear in mind I'm theorising here as I don't have an outdoor layout.

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I've seen HO used outdoors, but on a layout that was effectively a shelf along the fence. Minimal scenery and all movables came in every night. Not sure what happened with the track; I think it was covered with a tarp or plastic. I haven't been back to see how it survives.
  6. dvaughn

dvaughn New Member

Ok.... Here is a drawing of what I would like to do. The water will be real. I would like to here any feed back that would be helpful. I smallest radius is 18" the largest is 26". Each sq. is 12”. Thanks in advance. The file is to big...lol... it is 116kb. if anyone would like to see ti I would be happy to e-mail it to you.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi dvaughn and welcome to the gauge. Yes, H0 and even N-scale have been done outdoors, all rolling stock, loco's etc where driven back indoors after the session. Some had a garden shed with a loop of track inside and a few spurs off and one which went out into the garden and came back.
    Good luck with it.