helicopter linkage fine tuning

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by killerkeller, Jan 7, 2008.

1. killerkeller

killerkeller New Member

Does any one have any tips on how to fine tune the rods from the servos to the swatch plate.I am new to r/c helicopters,and I am having a hell of a time to get the swatch plate perfectly level.My new helicopter has 3 servos to control the plate and I have tried several things to get them all the same length. I have never tried to do this before,and I'm not having any luck so far. T. Keller
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Your post has wound up in a Card Modeling section. I've made an attempt at r/c choppers in the past, but don't know enough to help! :)

3. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

4. astrospud

astrospud Member

Hi, T.

I just wondering if you have tried a controlled hover. If you have managed to get the heli off the ground and hover steady, then your pitch/roll axis is ok. No fine tune needed.

If, for some reason, you have some drift in a particular direction, then start with the trim on the transmitter first. This way you can adjust on the fly, as it were.:mrgreen:
    If it's a bit more drastic than that, I would suggest unpopping one end of the link rod of the particular direction that the heli is following. Then, turn in the appropriate direction of the pull: lengthen if pulling toward the axis of control, or shorten to take up any play.
    Sory this information is very ad hoc, considering that I don't know the heli you are trying to fly, the nature of the problem or how drastic it is.
    I hope what I have provided will help.

5. Flyboy73

Flyboy73 New Member

The best way to accomplish this is with a pair of digital calipers. Measure the distance between the inside of each pair of ball links and modify each to make sure they are the same.

Here is one place of many that sell them online: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343096_200343096

There are probably plenty of places (hardware stores, etc) locally that also sell them.