Heisler on route

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Heisler #10 rounds the bend after crossing the high trestle bridge. Next stop Red Fox Depot.

sfox41.jpg

Shamus

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Shamus,

Bloody beautiful picture! One of the most impressive things about your layout and photos is there are never any shadows on your backdrop. I have a really hard time determining where your layout ends and backdrop begins. :cool:

The weather here in Vancouver is usually overcast, your photos feel like home to me! What a credible picture!

Stan

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
I would agree. Nice use of lighting.

Out of curiosity, what equipment are you using and at what settings? I know you've brought it up before but could you refresh my memory.

Use this picture as an example of your settings, if you could.:)

Thanks in advance.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Uteram
I would agree. Nice use of lighting.

Out of curiosity, what equipment are you using and at what settings? I know you've brought it up before but could you refresh my memory.

Use this picture as an example of your settings, if you could.:)

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------
Hey thanks guys,

-----------------------------------
Uteram my friend my camera is a digital, "Olympus C700 ultra zoom" I set it at f8 and 1/30th second for most of my photo's. The lighting is Daylight Flourescent Tubes rated at 58 watt and they are spaced every 18" on my ceiling. These tubes are proper daylight ones, not cool white which doesn't work. They are Phillips TLD 58w and are rated at 5500 kelvin.

Shamus

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Shamus. I'm debating the purchase of either an Olympus C-4000 Zoom, or an Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom, which appears to be newer version of your camera.

What I've found with my point and shoot Nikon is that the aperature range is unacceptable (no surprise) and the lighting and the exposure levels are unacceptable as well.

As for the Olympus choices I have above, should I put much value in the zoom or ultra-zoom differences? Thoughts?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Uteram
Thanks for the feedback Shamus. I'm debating the purchase of either an Olympus C-4000 Zoom, or an Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom, which appears to be newer version of your camera.

What I've found with my point and shoot Nikon is that the aperature range is unacceptable (no surprise) and the lighting and the exposure levels are unacceptable as well.

As for the Olympus choices I have above, should I put much value in the zoom or ultra-zoom differences? Thoughts?

For the zoom, not really important in model photography. Macro yes. I know the zoom lets you get closer to the subject, but if I can't get the camera within 1' of where I want to take a photo, I will remove something (Trees etc) to get in so I don't use the zoom. Just my way. Any of the above camera's will do the job. Mine is the C700 ultra zoom. Haven't used the ultra zoom yet, would have to be outdoors and looking at something 200 yards away to use it properly, Then I could zoom it in.

Shamus
wink.gif

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
Shamus, thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the C4000. I believe the macros are the same (or about the same) on both, plus the C4000 is a little less expensive.

As you mentioned, I don't need to zoom into something 200 yards away. My main focus is the layout and family shots. If needed, I can always purchase a tele photo attachment if needed.

Thanks again.

Hi Uteram. i have the Olympus C4000 and it is designed for taking closeups. As close as 1.5 cm. But the C-720 ultra zoom is great for both closeup and distance, but u have to adjust settings. Personnally i wanted closeups for train and garden and one that u don't have to adjust. My partner hates cameras that u have to adjust. Her camera use to be a 110 :rolleyes: . But she loves this C4000. Just point and click. U don't even use the view finder. It automatically will adjust for closeups. I have some beautiful pictures of our flowers. :D

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
Thanks all. Well I broke down and got the C-4000Z and couldn't be more pleased--so far. I got it at Costco ($419 US). Was willing to pay the higher price because Costco has a very, very lenient satisfaction guarantee, meaning if you're not satisfied for any reason at any time, bring it back for a full refund. Figured the higher price is a good enough deal to act as an insurance policy!

I've only had the camera for one day, but let me tell you, it has every bell and whistle you can imagine. I'm somewhat of a neophite with photography but know enough to be dangerous. Many of the negative comments on websites like CNET and Amamzon, etc., were people complaining that it's difficult to learn and they kept getting blurry pictures in indoor shots. I can honestly say this isn't the case. As soon as I had the batteries in, I was shooting away at the kids, etc., and most, if not all came out crystal clear. The 4 megapixel is unreal and the macro is unbelievable. I've been taking pictures of items around the house from about 4-5 inches away and they come out beautifully.

I've started taking pictures of the layout and I'll post them later today. Wow, what a diffierence in clarity from my previous camera.

Word to others: If you're somewhat new to photography, or are looking to step up from a point and shoot to a more feature laden camera and don't want to spend a king's ransom, the C-4000 can't be beat. It's inexpensive for its class and has everything you would ever need.