Heinkel HE162

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eric_son, Nov 3, 2007.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

This is the first time I ever mustered the guts to put up a build thread.... so be kind. :oops: Hehehe.

After a two year hiatus from card modeling, I decided to get started again.
    A couple of days ago, I purchased the HS162 (designed by Marek?) from DeWayne's site.

Getting started
    Darn! It seems like I got off to a bad start. I missed a former. :cry:
    And to think.... I had to stick my pinky finger inside the nose cone to keep it in shape while the glue hardened. wall1

Oh well, the show must go on.

Dry fitting
    After completing a couple of segments of the fuselage, I decided it was about time to try to fit them together to see what the body looks like.

Fuselage done!
    Funny how even a cellphone camera can still reveal the excess glue marks I made. :mrgreen:

The stabilizers and rudders
    I had a very hard time assembling the stabilizers and rudders.
    The stabilizers came in two separate pieces, and had only one former/spar. The former/spar didn't have any reference points or markers to indicate where the stabilizers will be positioned.
    The rudders on the other hand didn't come with any formers/spars.

That's all for today. :wave:
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

No problem, we are always starting here. To my shame because external causes I've started a build thread and I've never finished the model :oops::oops::oops:

Good to see DeWayne's is selling models.

About you start looks good. Looking forward to see more.

3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looking good! I wonder if this model would need weight in the nost to not tip towards the tail. Looking at the picture of the finished plane on Dewayne's site, I'd have put a dime up in that front section to make sure it would stand on the tri-pod.
  4. Janx

Janx Member

Looking Good Eric_son been trying to card model for 3-4 years I'm almost up to where you left off (I can dream). The model looks good so far, was thinking of doing this subject myself.
  5. eric_son

eric_son Member

I got the wings on! Unfortunately, after the glue dried, I suddenly suffered a bout of second childhood syndrome. I must have stared and played around with the model for an hour making whooshing sound effects in my head. Then after that, I my baby daughter started crying, signaling the end of the model building session for the night. :)

Uh-oh.... I never thought about that. This is the first time for me to make a tricycle landing gear model.
    I tried balancing the model on my finger where the rear landing gears will be placed (see red arrow above). Indeed there is a tendency for the tail to go down.
    I'll try placing counterweights inside the nacelle of the engine. Hopefully, it will offset the weight of the tail assembly. If not, I will also try to embed some weights in the front tire.

Thanks for the heads up.

6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

No problem, I am by no means a huge expert - but my 4 or 5 tripod planes have always needed nose weight to stand correctly. I actually cut the nose of my first F4 (the Wilhelmshaven one) open and added it post assembly way back when I was a kid and first starting out.
  7. eric_son

eric_son Member

I tried temporarily placing small screws (the one used in PC's) onto the mounting spot of the engine. It was still tail-heavy despite that. My last resort would be to stuff the front wheel with some kind of metal (watch battery maybe..). If that doesn't work, then I'll have to do some surgery in the nose cone. :(
  8. eric_son

eric_son Member

Almost done....

I stuffed the nacelle with PC motherboard mounting screws in the hope that the added weight will help prop it up when I install the landing gear.

Engine done! I got a bit aggressive with my black marker pen when I tried to color the inside portion of the exhaust. The black marker bled to the other side of the paper effectively staining the gray exhaust. wall1

Mounting the engine onto the mounting bracket was a big PITA. Oh my, I must have massaged the mounting bracket until its cardboard became soft as cloth.

I tried balancing the model where the rear landing gears will be placed. The motherboard mounting screws seem to have done their job....I hope.
  9. eric_son

eric_son Member

Heinkel He162 -- Done!

Next to doing prop cones and blades, I dislike doing landing gears. Even though I took my sweet time doing these, I still managed to something wrong. I made the mistake of not padding the wheels with extra cardboard and relying completely on what's supplied in the diagrams. The three wheels ended up quite thin --- somewhat like those cheap spare tires supplied with some cars.

Anyway, charge to experience. :mrgreen:

The PC screws I stuffed in the engine nacelle seem to have done the job of balancing the model correctly, albeit precariously. Though the model stands on its three wheels, a small gust of wind will cause the tail portion to go down. Next time I do models with tricycle landing gears, I'll be sure to immediately put counter weights in the nose area early on.

Nevertheless, I had a really good time building this model. In addition to tricycle landing gear types, this is also the first time for me to build a model that had butt joins instead of glue flaps (all my previous models came from Kancho and Dr. Zarkov).

My next plan is the Horten HO229. :cool:
  10. Janx

Janx Member

Really nice looking build and aircraft :)
  11. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks. :)
  12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Yep - the model came out very nice - I can't wait for you to share more builds ;)