Heinkel He-111 (GPM, 1:33)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hey everyone! It's been a long since.. :) Nice to see you all ;)

Ok, now to the model:

HEINKEL He-111

Short History

In the early 1930s, Ernst Heinkel decided to build the world's fastest passenger plane, a lofty goal met with more than a little skepticism by the German aircraft industry. To make matters worse, he entrusted the development to the Günter brothers, the fairly new and untested company.
    To everyone's surprise they delivered on the promise, delivering an aircraft superior to the already fast Lockheed 9 "Orion", that their design was competing against. The first example of their soon-to-be-famous Heinkel He 70 Blitz (“Lightning”) rolled off the line in 1932 and immediately started breaking record after record. It cruised at almost 200 mph (320 km/h), even though it was powered by only a single 600 hp (447 kW) BMW V1 engine. The elliptical wing, which the Günther brothers had already used in the Bäumer Sausewind sports plane, before they joined Heinkel, became a feature in many designs, the brothers developed subsequently. It was only a matter of time before they turned their attention to developing a larger and more powerful twin-engine version of the Blitz, producing a plane that had many of the Blitz's features – including its elliptical wing with an inverted gull wing, small rounded control surfaces, and BMW engines. With location of the engines - the only notable change in appearance. The new He 111 design was often called the Doppel-Blitz (“Double Lightning”). The design immediately attracted the interest of the Luftwaffe, who were looking for any design that could be pressed into military service. Plane was renamed to He-111 and the serial production started. Within the time, plane was upgraded more and more. This was the most important Luftwaffe's medium bomber at the beginning of WWII. It is known for its performance ir Battle over Britain (almost a symbol of BoB). Because this plane had pre-war design, it's utilization faded from 1942. But this aircraft was still built until 1944 for other tasks.
    Ok, I don't want to enlarge on this too much. Overall, this is a very interesting plane, with some interesting, but complex forms. I'm going to enjoy this build.

Also I know, that there were many versions of He-111. The magazine tells, that this is a H-6, but I found, that H-6 was a torpedo bomber, while this model is equipped with bombs. I don't know ?( ... I hope, that within the time being we will find out more about this model (maybe a polish translation of text will help :) )

About main characterstics:

Crew: 5 (pilot, navigator/bombardier, nose gunner, ventral gunner, dorsal gunner)
    Lenght: 16.4m
    Wingspan: 22.5m
    Height: 3.9m
    Wing area: 86.5 m²
    Empty weight: 7,720 kg
    Full weight: 12,030 kg (Max. take-off weight: 14,075 kg)
    Engines: two Jumo 211F-1 liquid-cooled, inverted V-12, 986 kW (1,300 AG) each
    Max. speed: 400 km/h
    Ceiling: 8,390 m
    Max. range: 2,800 km with maximal fuel

Up to seven 7.92 mm MG 15 ar MG 81 machine-guns. Some replaced to: 1×20 mm MG FF cannon (nose) ir 1×13 mm MG 131 cannon (behind cockpit).

2,000 kg outside and 1× 500 kg inside, alternatively 2,000 kg inside.

Depending on version the armament type, quantity, fuel capacity, range ant other parameters may vary.
    Comparable aircraft:

Polish PZL-37 Los
    English Vickers Wellington
    Americans B-25 Mitchell
    Production timeline:

Bf 108 - Bf 109 - Bf 110 - He 111 - He 112 - He 114 - He 115

This aircraft starred in some movies (mostly war-movies). Offcourse, it was not as popular as C-47 or B747, but still, this is an achievement.
    This plane was used in many other countries: Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, China and Spain. Moreover, this plane was produced in Spain by CASA company (renamed to CASA 2.111, but still, it was nearly the same aircraft) and used for local tasks even up to 1965.

First pic shows Heinkel over London. Fortunately, it didn't destroy Big Ben :p

Link to image was deleted by moderator due to illegal content
    Markus Still

I started this model because of our lithuanian forum's contest (or as we call it "Group Build"). We elected the topic - WWII Germany, and consequently I started this project. I have aquired this model long ago. I had many choices for the contest (like B&V 138, Me-329 or even two smaller fighters like Me-262 + FW-190). The greatest Heinkel's opponent was Ju-52. But after some discussions with fellow modelers, I decided to leave it for the future, because Junker would consume all my summer (it is a VERY compelx model). I have to finish the model till this year's December.
    Model looks quite nice. Nice printing, detalization, colors, paper and so on. It has a minimal weathering (some shading). I don't know anything about fit, but we'll see. But I sense, that this is going to be a good model. Still... there're pics of a complete model on the magazine's cover.
    About "improvements": I really don't know.. Maybe I will do some scratch detalization, according to schemes and pictures, but I'm not going to do any major conversations or big works - like light illumination. Maybe spinning propellors :p Remeber, that I used lighting and extra detalizaton in my previous projects, like SR-71 or P-38? By the way, I did not forget my SR-71. It is not finished yet, but I'm going to distribute my time for both models, that SR-71 would have at least minor progress.
    Since this is a big model, I will have quite a work on reinforcing it. Thanks to my friend, who provided me with some special (thin, easy to work with) plywood, special foam, that I can't find it anywhere to buy (USSR legacy :rolleyes:) and other materials. He acquired this stuff long ago. Mostly from abandoned soviet airport near his home. If I was building small AFV, tanks or cars, I wouldn't have such problems. They are small, don't have large area's, big weight, areas under stress (like wings, bending down within time). But... since I love huge models, I have to do something with this. Also I was thinking (but only just thinking) about removeable wings. Just for better storing. And the last thing - we'll have some fun with this complex cockpit.

About model:

Magazine: GPM
    Issue: 8/2003
    Release date: 2003
    Part count: Don't know. If I find out - i will post.
    Difficulty level: 3 from 3 (according to GPM)
    Lenght: 50cm
    Wingspan: 68cm
    Height: 14cm
    Pictures of magazine:

It should look like that :):

And this is from what I was choosing for Group Build :) (There are no Maly Modelarz or some other rough models). But still, those vehicles were just to add to "German" topic. Mostly I build airplanes (maybe in future I will take ground vehicle).

Thats all. Within the progress I will post more information about plane itself and model. Good luck! ;)

2. David H

David H Member

All that glass, all those guns!

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Funny, I was debating whether to start this one as my next model. Now I can learn from your thread and build something else in the meantime. I also wish there was a translation for thi model, but the included diagrams and pictures are excellent. I look to your build with great interest.
  4. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello everybody,

Thank you for such nice comments

Now I want to make a little introduction into this build. I advice to read this topic to every amateur, that is going to the higher level (since I'm just an amateur, trying to get higher, this topic is very important for me).
    So I would call this message:

"Changes and new discoveries"

First of all - what is the deal? I haven't discussed with many modellers about this, but I have talked to my fellow modeler Donatas (he's like my teacher) and ex-modeler - my fathe. For example, Donatas can be proud of his cardplanes collection. He has more than 30 precisely made models. And what about me? I was building "Lightning" allmost for two years (offcourse, I had a break, because I was finishing school; final exams; etc.). And if I don't change such tendency, after 5 years I will have two more models in my collection. That's not good. So, the time has come when I have to limit myself and make some changes. Ok, I totally agree, that everyone must push himself to the limits of perfectness. But let's take an example: without limiting yourself, you can build model for ten years. But this gives you more minuses than pluses. Simple - even if the model is super-detailed and accurate, but on the other hand you will have only ONE model. That precious time will be gone forever (life's short), and you will add only one model to your collection. Besides, there are more bad sides. As we work with paper, it has a bad feature to decay. Plane's nose will be rotten after ten years, when you will be finishing tail... It is common to varnish the model after it is finished. So during that decade, your not-varnished nose will decay.
    To sum up, I want to make model FAST. I want to have large collection of models, that are quality too.
    So, this time I am not going to pursue that "unreachable" perfectness. I'm going to put all my knowledge and skill in making the model of the "Lightning's" quality, but several times faster. And thanks to all those online forums and their members who helped me to gain this knowledge.
    I have defined quite a tough schedule for this model, but I'm not telling it here, because I may not make it on time. Also I have some thoughts to make some articles about basic paper modelling, and advanced aircraft modelling from A to Z (the article would focus on this He-111). But this is quite misty, because I haven't even finished this model :) Maybe in the future. It will depend on the final result of He-111 and my free time. I will write it in Lithuanian, and then translate it into English.

Thats all. I think this is an important topic, because it becomes sad, when you think what will happen if you are not increasing speed. Besides, it adds some difficulty, because you must make it faster while retaining the quality.

So for today I will show two photos with plenty of things, that will help reaching my goals.

What's new?

Some untraditional items to paper-modeler.

1. Miraculous glue - "Moment". Europeans should know it, because they are universal yellow glue (see, german label), that have quite a smell and no WATER in composition, that moists paper and makes us go mad.. You can glue frame parts on cardboard, do other works and your paper will never get wrinkly. They dry much faster than common white PVA. But you must be careful with it, because you can easily make ugly stains on your model.

2. Foam. Similar foam is used for fishing. Various floats (for fishing poles, nets and "live" catchers with crucians). It is NOT sea foam. It is similar to filler "Macroflex", that is sprayed out and dried. Offcourse you get additional work with the foam, but it makes model much stronger (oh, I haven't mentioned, that I use it fill voids in wings, fuselage - to make model more rigid). This is a rare material. Mostly stolen from USSR.. offcourse I'm kidding. Oh you don't know what was going on in USSR. Stealing was common. Once L. Brezhnev said, that if a man needs something, he can allways steal it. Fortunately I was just a kid then. I grew up in independant country, so I am not spoiled :]. But when I run out of this foam, I will try "Macroflex".

3. We call it "aviation scaleboard". But to make things clearer I will call it a thin (1mm) plywood. It is much better than cardboard. It does not DEFORM. The toughness of the wooden framework is some times tougher than cardboard framework. Besides, when you have very sharp and thin parts, this plywood retains rigid and strong, while card begins to crack and so on... Also it is much easier to work with it. Easy to sand. Again, thanks for Donatas that gave me such rare materials (foam is also from him). But I'm running out of this plywood also. We need some alternatives. I heard that Poland's model shops have a wide choice of such plywood, so maybe you will have them also, but, here in Lithuania, we have none. I was thinking about plastic PVC sheets. You know them? They are white sheets of plastic, there are various thichnesses. Our food containers (like margarine) are made from very thin PVC plastic. Fortunately we have such materials in our country. Oh, I have seen such things in Belgian model shop in Hasselt (i think it is called "Broux"). So these are materials, that are alternative (but better) than cardboard.

4. Stick Glue. You can easily glue frame parts to cardboard, plywood or some other material. Very fast and waterless way. But they are mostly suitable only for thickening parts

5. Bison Wood glue. They help, when working with wood. These glue are based on common white PVA, but they are more advanced. Faster drying time, stronger joins.

6. Watercolours. Very comfortable paint, toxic-less. It is very easy to mix colors, easy to paint. Very easy to clean palette, bottles and mostly IMPORTANT - brushes. You save so much time! You don't need whitespirit or other toxic stuff. Again, you do everything faster because you don't need to bother with difficult brush cleaning (just put under the tap - and thats all), you don't have to ventilate rooms from fumes and so on. Everything is clean and fast. Oh, I suggest to use not dry or liquid aquarelle, but the viscous one. Then you can make it a little stiffer, what helps you in modelling. As you know, the stiff aquarelle paint are not a good idea in painting. Painters make up to fifty layers with aquarell. This is not a good idea if you want to save time in modelling :p As an alternative I see acrylic, gouache and tempera. But I am a friend of aquarelle, because I use it in university and for painting (I do it sometimes).

7. Natural hair brush. Perfect coverin, but you should know, that they are only suitable for aquarelle. You will kill them if you use them with enamels or other toxic paints. There syntetic or bristle brushes should be used.

8. Oil pastels. For edge colouring. This idea was given by our lithuanian forum's admin. He has the whole collection of them, but I think that you don't need them all (unless you draw with them, but I, personally, don't like oil pastels). So I advice to everone, who want to try pastels - take your paper magazine, go to art shop and try to find similar colour (I give 90% that you will find the suitable color, because it is a very wide choice of oil pastels). But ask only for TOP quality. Like these "Van Gogh". And that way you will save money, because you don't have to throw away a bunch of money at once for the whole set of oil pastels. And don't mix oil pastels with soft pastels (also known as chalk). These are different things. Soft pastels are mostly used in plastic modelling, mostly for making exaust stains and other weathering.
    I haven't met the faster way to paint edges. Maybe felt-tip pencils. But I do not advice them, because color changes (and it may change from nearly red to green) in time and spoils the whole model. Also I should say, that after painting with oil pastel, you have to rub paint with your finger and be careful of pastel's excess. You can easily smear the part. After finishing painting edges, you have to wash hands. And at last, I must say that oil pastels are thinned with turpentine (if somebody need it).:)

As you see, I have mentioned word fast five times. I hope, that this will help me to make things faster and retaining the same quality:)

What's that? These are things, that I don't need anymore. Toxic paint. They consume much time, during which I could build a bomb or two :)

As you see, I am more and more using "non-sport" technologies (they are so-called in Lithuania, Russia, Poland..). Less pure paper, more other materials. Some of you can blame me for that. But I can still call my models - paper, because they are based on virgin polish magazines, not scratched from wood, plastic or other material.
    As our model shopkeeper, during our community meet, said: "Models are fraud. Every model is lie, because we will never make a "model". Except 1:1 copies. But they are still just copies.. Just look - we don't cover SR-71 with titanium, we don't put radars into model ships that track planes ad so on. Besides, we have scale, and some things are impossible. We do not build parts, that are 1cm size on real plane. In model they would be microscopic.. We just make models for our pleasure, so why I should be limited only to paper (oh, we are allowed to use wire and clear plastic :D, so why I cannot use wood, plastic or even tin).
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Resuming to "Non-sport" building. Unreinforced model won't live long. It is easy to say for plastic modellers, because their models are made from durable material. But.. we're kartonists. As all know, paper is not a very durable material... Just look at your bookshelf and see the books that are older than 20 years. How do they look like?
    However. This is not adaptable to every model. Tanks, vehicles and small planes do not have such problems, because they are small, they don't have large areas or high stress areas. If they are well varnished, they will live for ages (hehe, but tankers have other problems, that we, aviators, don't have). But I love LARGE models. Imagine the huge GPM's B-52 made ONLY according to instructions. After a year or two, his wings will sag, large areas will have dimples. Model will be destroyed. So we must reinforce it if we want to rejoice afer 5 or more years :)

So much the philosophy. I think that this post will be interesting to many of you. I am eagerly waiting for feedback and comments. if you have questions - feel free to ask here.

Good luck! ;)

P.S. The idea of this message is not to increase the time, dedicated for model (in account of your studies, work and family), but to do more during the same time.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

great thread! I too have dreams of building a heinkel, but with a slight modification, the Heinkel He-111z. I'm looking forward to your build.
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Absolutely great choice for a build thread!

I will be watching this with anticipation and delight!

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Quick! Thats something I need lessons in - looking forward to this!
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Interesting thread already. I've been fascinated by the Heinkel 111 ever since I saw the He-111H16's in the movie Battle of Britain when it first hit the theaters in 1969 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_(film) . It will be interesting to see how the canopy turns out.:) Beat of luck.

10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This will be neat. I'll enjoy seeing some different and new techniques, and I'm also anxious to see how you handle all that glass!

11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

I follow all of your builds with interest.

You are a skilled model builder!

Your Canadian friend,

12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

if you could get extra detailed on how you put that glass nose on with lots of pics that would be awesome :)
  13. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Thank you for the feedback. :p :) I am really very happy, that there are so many interested in my model. For now I am working with tail but after it, I will be doing nose and central section, so it will be soon.

Now a little update.

Firstly, I forgot to capture how I was building the wooden framework, but I will do it when I will be doing the fin.

So what I was doing today:

Very nice framework design. 10/10 score. I have filled it with roughly cut foam (approximation with hand, but since it is not very hard, you can shape it a little with fingers)

I sanded it on abrasive disc.

And a layer of paper (whatman, ~160g/m^2). Like my fellow wooden ship modeller would say - "black" planking (term used on wooden ship models). Now I have a nice base for skin parts and overall good toughness. Besides you can see various "forms" of paints :) I am successfully using them. So this way I get strong part, resistant to finger "pushing" and so I avoid protruded frame "ribs".

Thats all. Good luck ;)
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Whoa there Kimosabe........................... what type of foam is that.

Let me get this straight............... you cut the parts out of paper, reinforce it with wood strips and fill it with foam sanded to shape that you color to match before putting the outer paper skin on???

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Filed redundantly under the redunant dept. of redundancy!
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Bowdenja: Exactly! ;)

Now a little update.

These are hinges for moving surfaces:

Wooden framework. I suggest using special wood PVA when working with wood. For example "Moment Wood". In my case it is "Bison Wood".

Fully assembled fins. I have showed their frames with foam before. They are really strong, because of foam and other techniques used. I think, that they covered the framework quite nice. Besides that "grey interior" was white, so I had to mix colour and paint. For such places I used "Model Master" enamels for plastic models. Aquarelle is not very suitable, because here you have to paint large areas (not just edges).

This is a video showing why wood is better than ordinary cardboard:

[Click the image if you want to see the video]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This is a great thread! A future archive in action!
    These are great building details Mindaugas!
    Thanks for sharing this with us, in such great detail!

Sitting on the edge of my seat for the next installment!:twisted:

18. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Can't wait for you to do the nose, I feel a tutorial coming on.
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Sorry for the redundant post..............I was shocked and started typing before my mind caught up with my fingers:oops:

I gotta tell barry about this he been beating his head again the wall trying to figure out how to get away from the starved look on his ship hulls.............. and here it is!

Please continue knowing that I'm watching with mouth agape!:shock:

20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You trying to tell me what I am going to be doing????

But when you are right, you are right! heh heh