Heads Up...eBay E-mail Spoof

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Just got an e-mail from an ebay member tonight asking how he could pay for an item, and my pay pal account wasn't working and wanted to know why.
Two things that got me thinking that this is a spoof mail,(Came complete, looking official from ebay, all the symbols, links in blue,.... the works)
First...I don't have anything on ebay for sale, and....
Well...No kidding my paypal account ain't working......I don't have one.
So...I did an investigation on the "member" that sent me the e-mail(barsley1105). He hasn't been a registered user in over a year!
Just a heads up for you active ebay members.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Ed. I've gotten email telling me that I have to update my Paypal account too, and like you, I don't have one either. I just worry about those that do have an account and get this. There are a couple of banks that keep bugging me to visit their web site and "protect" my account from fraud. I guess I'm going to have to open accounts with them first in order to do that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Damn, why can't some people make an honest living like the rest of us do? :curse:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
ezdays said:
Thanks Ed. I've gotten email telling me that I have to update my Paypal account too, and like you, I don't have one either. I just worry about those that do have an account and get this. There are a couple of banks that keep bugging me to visit their web site and "protect" my account from fraud. I guess I'm going to have to open accounts with them first in order to do that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Damn, why can't some people make an honest living like the rest of us do? :curse:

I don't think I would trust any bank that saw the need to go on phishing expeditions to try to get me as a customer!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
I don't think I would trust any bank that saw the need to go on phishing expeditions to try to get me as a customer!
They don't, they're as phony as the eBay scheme that Ed's talking about. If I had an account at that bank and I responded to the phising scheme, I'd be in trouble, for as with Ed's email, click on the link and you have no idea where you're going. Not to eBay, not to PayPal and certainly not to the bank's web site. If for every 1.000,000 they send out, one person bites, that's their payback. They even go so far as to warn you about these phising schemes and that you're only "protecting" your account this way...:rolleyes:

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
88 & Don,
I noticed here lately on the HO trains category an auction which shows a scantly clad young lady and the auction title "have you seen me?" I've never opened these as I'm afraid it's some sort of phishing scam. But I recall there was someone actually selling trains legitimatly using scantly clad young ladies as models holding the trains! I'm sure the auction-police had fun with that guy! They say you can send these spoof emails to Ebay and they'll stop them. I'll bet the success ratio is pretty negligable.

2slim

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
Uh oh, I wonder if I shouldn't have sent my social security number and other vital information to the widow of a deposed west African president who emailed me last week. She promised to split a million dollars in an offshore escrow account with me, and I figured "what could I possibly lose"?!? After all, she's a widow and everything...sign1

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I closed my e bay account and I still get letters wanting me to upgrade my account or it will be closed..Never have a PayPal account but,am advised to upgrade my account by reaffirming my information.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Jac's Lines said:
Uh oh, I wonder if I shouldn't have sent my social security number and other vital information to the widow of a deposed west African president who emailed me last week. She promised to split a million dollars in an offshore escrow account with me, and I figured "what could I possibly lose"?!? After all, she's a widow and everything...sign1
I get those also. That and the "European Lottery Winner".
What I do is send a copy of the "Nigerian" letter to the lottery contact, and a "Lottery" to the "nigerian" contact.
Be amazed how much those have slowed down.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
2slim said:
88 & Don,
I noticed here lately on the HO trains category an auction which shows a scantly clad young lady and the auction title "have you seen me?" I've never opened these as I'm afraid it's some sort of phishing scam. But I recall there was someone actually selling trains legitimatly using scantly clad young ladies as models holding the trains!
2slim

I clearly recall an early 1970's print add in Railroad Model Craftsman with a bikini clad lass hawking plastic building components. :)

I have also received that paypal notice email and dispatched it forthwith!
Ralph