Headin' for Divorce Court

roryglasgow

I've really done it this time...

I picked up working on my station kit that I had put aside several weeks ago. I suppose I should have waited until I was completely well before I started working on it again...

I was sitting at the dining table and knocked over the bottle of Testors plastic cement. Oh yeah. The piece of cardboard on which it sat provided virtually no protection. It spilled out over one edge and underneath a placemat...a PLASTIC placemat. I panicked. The only thing I could think of to do was to get the acetone and try to clean it up. I think I've gotten all of the glue (and melted placemat) up, but it took off the finish on that corner of the the table (a little less than one square foot, I reckon). You really can't see it too well from some angles...but from others...well...let's just say that you can see it.

My wife has been acting very calm around me. I apologized profusely. She's sitting up in bed right now watching Mad TV. I'm afraid to go back into the bedroom.

Suffice it to say, that if y'all never hear from me again, she went ahead and killed me.

-Rory, I may as well have committed adultery, Glasgow

Sir_Prize

We're behind ya man!!
WWWAAAYYYY behind you!!!:p
Could ya hold your arms out more? Looks like she has a clear shot at me... Huh?! Everybodies headed for the train...Ok!
Oh!.... We're with ya man!:D :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Rory, best thing you can do is buy her something she wants, like a Jaguar, RollsRoyce, anything not connected with trains. New telly for the bedroom just in case!!!
Anyway friend, I am right behind you, and thats were I am staying.
Shamus

Partsman

Ha ha ha. You have my sympathies, Rory. Has any one of us ever NOT had something like this happen?

As TV comedian Red Green would say, "I'm pullin' for ya! We're all in this together!"

:p :cool:

roryglasgow

Prayer

How does that prayer that Red Green said go? Something like, "we're only men?"

-Rory (who's still alive this Sunday morning and thinks that church is probably a very good idea)

Drew1125

Hi Rory!
I had the exact thing happen to me! Fortunately, that was back in leaner times, & the bottle of glue was worth more than any of the furniture we had! :D
If your wife is anything like mine, she's very forgiving, even after you've made a mess of something. (there are lots of us who could write a book on this subject) You have my permission to use my line on her -
"Honey, at least you always know where I am, & what I'm doing."
I've known a lot of people in my life whose spouses weren't so lucky.
Oh yeah, one more thing - a new table's always gonna be cheaper than a divorce! ;)
Tell your wife that everybody at The Gauge says thanks for puttin up with Rory!

roryglasgow

Adversity breeds innovation

Well, guys, my wife has been very forgiving about the whole incident. She said that maybe it happened because she had been feeling too proud about the table (we just bought it a couple of months ago). But to prevent future accidents of this sort, I came up with the following solution:

PreventativeMeasure.jpg

I made a base for the plastic cement out of some spare insulating foam. Now as long as I don't get any of the stuff on the foam...

Note that she is still allowing me to use the table! :)

Thanks for all the support!

-Rory

kf4jqd

A good excuse..........

Rory:

Here is a good excuse for you to get your own workbench! That's if you have the room. Mine is downstairs. If I glue over it, which I have :), Jessica doesn't care. Enfact she has gotten paint over it! :eek: As for our first owned house. We can't have a basement, so we will have a room for the trains and radios. These are orders from Jess!

Don't feel bad. My friend Billy and his wife came over for dinner tonight. He spent all day putting a tower up for his Ham Radio antennas. The wife was mad because they haven't spent any quaility time together. They both work different shifts. I could see it in her face when he was talking about putting it up.

As for Jessica and I. She has her Ham Radio license. Plus, she helps me with my modelling. I guess I have it made.

Hope everything works out,
Andy

Attachments

• updatedop.jpg
    updatedop.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 126

roryglasgow

Size DOES matter...

Yeah, tonight Kristi and I were discussing that the next house we live in we'll have a separate train room, and I'll have room for a proper work table. The house we're in now is very small (about 800 sq. ft.). We only have two bedrooms. My layout is built on a 30"x80" hollow core door, which sits behind the loveseat in the "living room" (the whole front half of the house is essentially one big room that is divided by different colored walls, and the living room has carpet instead of vinyl). We recently moved back home to Huntsville, TX from the Austin, TX area; so this house is just an interim until we can find and afford something bigger. Until that time, which may be a while, the dining room table will probably still double as the workbench. I'll just be more careful!

-Rory

kf4jqd

Jessica loves my trains.........

Jimmy B:

Jessica loves my trains. It keeps me out of trouble! :D She just drids it when we go to the train store!:eek: But like I said, it kkeps me out of trouble. She knows where I'm at. Downstairs of course.

She says that we need to have common interest to stay together. Besides, I could never paint as good as she can! :rolleyes:

Now when I ask her about the 100 foot tower, I wonder whar she will say? :eek:

Andy

billk

Rory - 100 ft tower

Rory - Read back a few posts - I think it's for a ham radio antenna - BillK

kf4jqd

Too many expensive hobbies!

Rory:

I have too many expensive hobbies! My other hobby is Amateur Radio. Considering a good VHF/UHF mobile radio cost about $400 US and a good HF (shortwave) cost over $1000 US! A tower for my antennas will cost over $1000 if I buy everything new! :eek:

Jessica says I just have too many expensive hobbies! One HF radio will buy me how many locos????????

Andy

www.geocities.com/droid144/hamradio.html This is my Ham Radio site
www.geocities.com/droid144/index.html This is my Train site

kf4jqd -, and all that comes after---pdrx4m7, or whatever. I find it plumb disgraceful to put "AMATEUR" radio in the same sentence as the hallowed "MODEL RR"
Now that I've had my chuckle for the day, I went to your train website and see you are at Rothschild, Wisc. I don't suppose you have the reemotest idea where Merrill is. Graduated from there in '48. Found out it's a good place to visit, but that's all. Been in Texas for years.
I thought there was only model RR, woodworking and golf for hobbies, but since you're a good guy I'll have to admit that maybe, just maybe, radio can be in there, but only at a minor level, mind you\

Lynn

roryglasgow

Density

Oh! A radio tower... Sometimes I'm a little slow on the pickup...maybe I'm not getting very good reception.

Sorry. Bad pun!

-Rory

billk

Tower

No Rory, it a "TOW-ER" - a 100 foot tower is what is used to tow 100' long passenger cars with (aka a locomotive).

(I don't know if there are 100' passenger cars and don't really care, just couldn't resist pulling your chain!)

BillK:p