Head to the ground

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by zedob, Mar 21, 2006.

1. zedob

zedob Member

This may be old news to some, but I have mentioned it to alot of people and they think I'm nuts, until I show them.

This is a trick that my father told me years ago while I was bent over looking for some small "precious" screw that had ended up on the floor while I was trying to put something back together in our shop. He told me to put my ear to the ground, then scan the floor to look for the screw. Sure enough, within 5-10 seconds I had it in my sights and was quickly retrieved and put back into it's normal use.
    It's a little more work to get down and back up again, but it saves the back from the excessive amount of time spent bent over trying to find whatever. In fact, you'll be amazed at the amount of crud that is on a floor. It's almost like a whole different universe down there.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

i guess that is how my nephew knows all the stuff that is down there...

3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That's a great idea, but there are some of us that if we get down that close to the floor, our wives run to the phone to call 911 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Chances are that it'll take something like the "jaws of life" to get us standing back up again. :D :D

Now if some of the grandkids were handy, that's another story.
  4. zedob

zedob Member

What about a periscope?:D Humm, still have to retrieve the part.:curse: I can see getting the grand-daughter to be the parts snatcher. :thumb:

It'd be like surveying..."ok, over to the left,...a bit more,...back an inch, RIGHT THERE!

"I found IT Poppy, I found IT! Here ya go."
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I do the same thing except I use a flashlight too! Put your face down there like you said and then put the flashlight down next to your head or somewhere in front of your face so as to not obstruct your view and just pivot it back and forth so the beam highlights anything above the level of the floor. If you couldn't find it before, it will jump right out'a there once the beam hits it...along with all the other crud on the floor. I do this especially whenever one of my family happens to drop a glass something or other and it breaks. All those little fragments are awfully hard to find otherwise.
  6. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

I've used a magnet, tied a string to it and drug it around the floor. Sometimes I retrieve what I dropped, sometimes I get things I had dropped a long time ago and given up for lost.
  7. zedob

zedob Member

Yeah, I should've mentioned that a flashlight enhances the effect.

I have a Mini Mag on my side everyday and use it everyday, at least 20-30 timesa day and I don't leave home with out it. I'm also the maintenance man where I work, so I am constantly having to peer into some dark space to find the problem, or read some dusty machine tag on the backside of some piece of equipment. Needless to say, the guys who installed the equipment weren't nice enough to put tracklighting in the closets.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Member

You don't have to be all the way down to use the flashlight trick...in fact, standing back a bit will help you see the shadow cast by the errant screw.

I found that trick invaluable when tracking down little spider hatchlings in my old place. They were so pale green they blended in with the ceiling, and there were HUNDREDS of them.
    Get a flashlight and a vacuum and have fun! Just suck up anything with a shadow.
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The dollar store has a little magnet on an extendable wand that you can use for most metal parts like screws. My 4 year-old calls it the fishing rod, and she catches errant parts with it. Unfortunately, there is no magent for plastic detail parts... :( ;)

10. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I have carpet. When I drop a small part , screw or spring it is gone. If I ever remove the carpet it will weigh a lot more than when i put it in from lost stuff in it.
  11. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Take a nylon stocking, and let the foot suck up into the open end of your vacuum cleaner hose (the rest folds back on the outside). Then install the floor attachment over the stocking. What ever you vacuum up will be in the toe of the stocking when you pull it back out.:D Works great for coupler springs and tiny things in carpet! (don't ask:oops: ):D

But the ear to the ground does work well, my Louisiana buddy taught me that one back in the day. If you're out in the plant, put a rag on the floor first or you may need a bath after!!:thumb:
  12. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Thats a great idea. I will have to try that because I have carpet too and just about every day I drop something small and it just disappears and I never see it agian:curse: