H'come??

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I, because of near terminal poverty (Dee says I'm just cheap) almost never buy anything new but I splurged a while ago and bought a brand new, stillin the box International tractor/trailer set (Sealtest Dairy) nice detail, loved it....tillI got it home! Man it's a LOT smaller than all my other semi trailer models.What 's goin on ? are there no standards for this sort of thing ? Am I gettin' worked up over nothin'?( I do that sometimes
smile.gif
)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Relic said:
I, because of near terminal poverty (Dee says I'm just cheap) almost never buy anything new but I splurged a while ago and bought a brand new, stillin the box International tractor/trailer set (Sealtest Dairy) nice detail, loved it....tillI got it home! Man it's a LOT smaller than all my other semi trailer models.What 's goin on ? are there no standards for this sort of thing ? Am I gettin' worked up over nothin'?( I do that sometimes
smile.gif
)
Did the box say HO scale? One has to be careful even then. I bought a sheet of bricks in my LHS, it said "N scale" but it also said in smaller letters, "1/200", which is not N scale. :curse: I have seen N scale figures that are probably closer to 1/150 and they look like giants. I also bought a bunch of 1/150 vehicles that I thought I could use, but I can only use a few trucks and a fire engine. The rest will go in the next yard sale. :cry:

The point is that some of manufacturers take liberties with their scale proportions.

webmaster

Feb 17, 2006
Surrey, UK
www.budgetwebsiteservices.co.uk
Unfortunately model sizes do sometimes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, however all is not lost. If you place it somewhere near the back of your layout (if you can) it should look in perspective. The only thing with doing that is you can't really place any other vehicles near it (unless their the same zize).

It's actually a trick that some modelers use to force the perspective to make things look further away.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Some tractor/trailer sets(Like they sell at Wally-World) are in the die-cast 1/64th scale, which would look bigger against HO. If it looks like N scale, more than likely its 1/144th scale, which also will look big against N scale, but close enough to use.
I'm guessing that your other tractor trailer sets are 1/64th(1/144th) and what you got was an actual HO(N) scale rig.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I guess I shoulda kept the box.Almost all my other HO semi's are older (early 60's)Friteliner c-overs and I ASSumed the difference was because the new one is an lod (40's) IH conventional. liven learn

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If your others are early 60's Freightliner cabovers, they are quite likely Athearn. If so they will be scale. Your new one may also be scale if it is a 1940's IH conventional. My dad was in the wholesale nursery business from 1949 to 1955. He had a 1952 GMC diesel powered by a 4-53 diesel. My uncle at the same time in the same business had a BIG GMC tractor. I think his had a 6-71 in it. My uncle's tractor would dwarf my dad's, but both would look small next to today's trucks. In 1940, semi trailers were probably limited to 35 feet in length max, and max vehicle length would have been 55 feet. In the late 50's or early 60's the max length was increased to 65' except for the states that bordered the Missippi River. I saw one instance in the 70's when a truck driver working for a fleet I worked for was stopped in Misouri, and had to have someone come out with a torch, remove the rubber dock bumper from the back of the trailer and then cut some of the steel off the trailer because it was 3" over 55 feet! In the 80's or early 90's the law changed to set national standards and any state that refused to go along would loose all federal highway funds. At that time the maximum overall length of a truck was set at 65 feet, and max weight was 80,000# gross. In the 90's the law was changed again to the current standard, which is that trailer length cannot be more than 53 feet, but overall length of the truck is either not restricted, or it is something like 100 feet. That is why class 1 cabovers are no longer being built. By the way that 4-51 detroit probably put out 100hp. The 6-71 would put out 230 hp. Todays trucks make in excess of 400-500hp, and some even go up to 650hp. It is probably like comparing a Sd9 to a Sd70mac.