Hawthorne Village Collectible Trains

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I've seen them advertised in magazines. They are nothing but a standard Bachmann On30 2-6-0 and passenger car set repainted in the special artist scheme. Likewise, track and power pack is standard Bachmann HO EZ track and power pack. The normal Bachmann sets retail for around $200 complete (I think, but could be wrong.). Value of this "collectable edition" is in the eyes of the beholder.

The paint job pictured is very pretty, especially to a former Alaskan like me.

my thoughts, your choices

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
pgandw said:
I've seen them advertised in magazines. They are nothing but a standard Bachmann On30 2-6-0 and passenger car set repainted in the special artist scheme. Likewise, track and power pack is standard Bachmann HO EZ track and power pack. The normal Bachmann sets retail for around $200 complete (I think, but could be wrong.). Value of this "collectable edition" is in the eyes of the beholder.

The paint job pictured is very pretty, especially to a former Alaskan like me.

my thoughts, your choices
Well, I know the artistic work is the main reason for the price jack. At $70 appiece, you're looking at around $350 for the whole set. However, I would almost be willing to pay the price difference for this one if the Bachmann On30's are good running sets otherwise.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Cannonball said:
Well, I know the artistic work is the main reason for the price jack. At $70 appiece, you're looking at around $350 for the whole set. However, I would almost be willing to pay the price difference for this one if the Bachmann On30's are good running sets otherwise.
I've never owned any of Bachmann's On30 stuff, although I've been sorely tempted. I was so afraid of giving in that I "forced" myself to spend about $200 on eBay on HOn3 equipment instead. My real issues with On30 are 1) there is too much good stuff to buy, and I'll end up blowing the budget; and 2) structures take up too much space. So I have challenged myself with 1900 era HOn3 instead.

By the reports I have seen and heard, the Bachmann On30 is the same quality level as their HO Spectrum line. Nicely detailed, smooth running, with once-in-a-while quality control issues. They do stand behind their stuff, though. I believe the original run Porters had some problems with electrical pickup that have been fixed since.

If you are buying the set, you might consider skipping the track and power pack if it will save you any money. Buy some Atlas (or Micro Engineering flex if you want a more scale appearance) track, and an MRC power pack. Or go big time, and install a Tsunami sound DCC decoder with a DCC system and enjoy wonderful sound with your viewing pleasure.

But again, you are playing with fire. With reasonably priced Porters, 2-6-0s, outside frame 2-8-0s, a rail bus, a Shay, a Climax, and a diesel critter just from Bachmann, you'll soon be selling your Marx to buy more On30.

let the journey to the dark side begin...

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
The Hawthore Village buildings were what started On30's popularity originally. The buildings needed a train set so Bachmann built the 2-6-0 and passenger cars for them. I have one of the 2-6-0's and it runs OK but it is not up to the Spectrum quality level and is not DCC ready. You can buy the standard sets from several sources for between 140 and 150 bucks. I don't think the "collectable" ones will appreciate in value in our lifetime.

MidnightRR

Dec 10, 2006
Denver, CO
www.midnightrailroader.com
You're not kidding about On30 addiction!

I planned an HO scale Atlantic Coast Line layout for ten years, and when I finally got a big enough basement with a house on top of it, my mother-in-law gave me a Hawthorne Village collectible set. She didn't care that it was On30--she liked how it looked, because it was a "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" set and she knows I've always loved that old TV special.

I ran the trains. They ran well. They were nicely detailed.

So I started a 4x8 fantasy layout for them, "just for fun."

It turned into my basement empire, and now I am laying track on an On30 freelanced railroad running in the Colorado Rockies.

The HO scale ACL stuff is still in boxes awaiting a future bookshelf layout project...probably another decade away, now!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
The Hawthore Village buildings were what started On30's popularity originally. The buildings needed a train set so Bachmann built the 2-6-0 and passenger cars for them. I have one of the 2-6-0's and it runs OK but it is not up to the Spectrum quality level and is not DCC ready. You can buy the standard sets from several sources for between 140 and 150 bucks. I don't think the "collectable" ones will appreciate in value in our lifetime.

I'm not DCC ready either. :D
And I know it wouldn't appreciate that much in value. I wouldn't be looking to resell it and make money from it anyway. I just like the train.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
My oldest daughter seen one done up in the McDonalds theme a few weeks back. She thought it was cool and wanted it but I just didn't think the vaule was there so I passed on it.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Renovo PPR said:
My oldest daughter seen one done up in the McDonalds theme a few weeks back. She thought it was cool and wanted it but I just didn't think the vaule was there so I passed on it.
Somebody else posted about thse in the HO forum as well and they are less than pleased with it. I'm gonna pass on it. If I buy trains I want them to run.

MidnightRR

Dec 10, 2006
Denver, CO
www.midnightrailroader.com
The Hawthorne Village On30 trains are very nice, well-crafted scale models and good runners; that's because they are simply the Bachmann Spectrum line in special paint schemes (and at a premium price). I've heard very few people complain about this product line, and I have an entire layout full of them and think they're great.

Now, the Hawthorne Village HO scale stuff--that's a different story. They're toys with the "collectible' paint schemes.

But don't confuse the two.