Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by John Griffin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Just about ready

I am just about ready with the instructions for my Tempest. I can't believe how long this takes- it's just as hard as designing the model in some ways. I should be done over Thanksgiving weekend... I think.
    I think that I will let Joseph handle delivering it to whoever wants a copy... I can barely manage to get the thing finished as it is. More on this soon...
    I can't wait until I'm done with it; then I can resume my cardmodels.net chat stuff.

John Griffin.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ok! Still waiting crossed-legged!
  3. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

That's right. Do not give up!
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Hawker Tempest Mk V is now available

John's Tempest is now available through GreMir.
    Please visit http://www.gremirmodels.com/tempest_mk_v.htm for more details.
    John was also able to do a new photo session of the completed model so enjoy.
    Offered plane has a standard red/blue roundels on the upper surfaces - John correxted this on the pages of the model but it was to late to redo the model.

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

6. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Aginst my better judgment I just had to buy this one. Question is which one will be done first the temest or the Black Widow. John thanks for the temest. It looks out standing. I hope it prints as good as it looks.
  7. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Gee... No problem! Thanks for being interested! Let me know if u have any build questions. I did the best I could on the diagrams... but it's my first attempt.

8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Just printing my copy out (at 1/32 as I don't think that the 1/24 beast will fit on A4 paper), drop dead beautiful. I hope I can do it justice.
  9. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Printing at 1/24

Correct... to print at 1/24 it must use 8.5 X 14 paper... and the printer options should be set to 'scale to fit'. There is a one-pixel wide border around the edge of each page that will ensure everything fits in the print area (correct size, too)when 'scaled to fit' is used.
    The limiting factor is that size of the outer wing panels. They are the single largest pieces of the model, and to get the thing to go 1/24 I needed to design it for legal size paper- so that the wings would fit.
    If you print on 8.5 X 11 it will just leave unused areas at the top/bottom of the paper and give a smaller model but will work fine.
    Remember... 'scale to fit'. Oh, and test with the b/w bulkhead or ribs page, so u don't go thru all your ink...

Thanks all...

John Griffin.
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Duh!:cry: I did not even think about re-scaling and printing it out on the paper I already have. (I'm still getting 8 1/2 x 14 to do a 1/24 scale)

Anyway I printed this model out and BOY does this thing look GREAT!:grin: Going to start putting the knife to the paper very soon!

Thanks John for making this model. I eagerly await the P-47:grin:

11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Please wait with printing of the model - John is in the process of rearranging of the parts to fit standarized (A4/Letter) size paper to simplify printing of the model in 1:24 scale.
    Within next day or two I will be resending new version to everybody who bought the plane.
    New version will require new registration but this will free of course.
    We apologize for the inconvenience but this is our first model in this scale and please take it as teething problems :grin:
  12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Hawker Tempest is now formatted to print without cropping on both A4 and Letter size paper.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Got my "updated" tonight! Thanks Guys!

14. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Tempest model construction

John- how is the build of the Tempest going? Glad u got the 'official' final version now. I got mine too.
    Got any pics yet?
    How did I do on the instructions/diagrams??

John Griffin.
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Joe Thumbfingers builds a Tempest

Hi John,

I'm just about finished with the fuselage, so far it has gone together fairly smoothly. I have one or two comments though.

The bulkheads in F4 and F5 seem to be slightly too small, not that serious, but annoying. That is the only thing I've found to criticise so far. My other comment is for those who scale the thing down, cut the holes in the bulkheads a bit larger if you want to get your fingers through them...I didn't at first and was thinking, "Damn, John must have small hands..."
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey John,

First off, I'm one of those guys who says........
    "Instructions??!! What instructions?":roll:

Seriously, I just jump in feet first and if I have a problem I do the guy thing and look for the instructions. When I'm working on a model I keep pictorial references (Yes Gil... books) handy and it makes it easier, for me anyway, to get the correct shape of a part before I attach it.

I got the first page done, and it went together prefectly. Again the weathering is great! All seams fit good and the internal formers fit to a tee! For me anyway. I thought I would have a problem with the lines in them, but found much to my joy that it was easier to get a better cut with them!8)

I like the "strip joint" technique to assemble models, I'm not real good with the "butt joint" technique. So I convert, i.e. make my own strips to connect, the models I build. Even the FG kind that have the attached strip, I cut off and make my own. This may account for my good fit on the formers.

I'll post a pic tonight to show the progress. Didn't get to work on it last night:(

My Library showing is fast approaching so I have to make time....:grin: Boy ain't that a shame!

Have a good New Years--------that goes for everybody!

17. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

is this model is our for sell ?
  18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ok here's a picture.

I've still got to finish the tail section. I like it!

Attached Files:

20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

My progress to date, still haven't decided if the cockpit will be installed in this one or not, nor if the gear will be up or down as it will likely hang from the ceiling in the bedroom of a young nephew of a friend.

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to post a picture here directly...