Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by John Griffin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

So many requests... so little ambition.
    A tutorial on weathering? Maybe eventually. Here's something quick off the cuff-
    One basic to remember when faking natural metal-
    the underside is going to be warmer- reflected earth; the top surfaces are going to be cooler/bluer- reflected sky.
    You won't see brown/yellow/earth hues on top of the fuselage.

Yes, the P-47model does have an interior, and gear wells, the same goes for the Tempest. I want to someday develope a radial engine for the Tempest; it will just replace the first 3 fuselage sections.

BTW, these models are printed on 11X17 cardstock... is that a no-no?? That lets me layout the parts as big as possible.

Yes I use photoshop- alot. I model in Creator, Mirai, Max, and have used Maya/ALias (although I HATE nurbs). I build and texture computer models for a living, mostly for the DoD and gemes (real-time stuff) these days; but I have done alot of hi-res work for movies and broadcast.
    I made models for two Bond movies... gee, I guess I've peaked!

Ipromise to get off my rear and finish some usable instructions for assembly.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

11 x17 won't fit my printer, BUT I really don't mind printing, so if you could fit it to letter (8.5 x 11), I don't care if I have print a page per part! :grin:

Are the instructions done yet??.... Are the instructions done yet??..........just kidding................not!

Are the instruction done yet?
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Print Size

Actually, I mis-spoke. I layout my models to fit 81/2" X 14" (US legal size), not 11" X 17". Oops, just a typo there. They work great with a normal inkjet printer.
    They are just a few inches longer but the same width. I like the longer sheets because I can fit a bigger 'wing' image on them. The wings seem to be the limiting item as far as size goes since they are the largest single parts.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

I am glad you said that I was wondering wht type printer was running 11 x 17 inch paper, I figured it would have had to been a commercial type printer. I know that the plain manilla folders have dimensions similar to 11 x 17 (or close) when opened up and thought maybe you was using them.
    But anyway, I and I am sure everyone else is happy to hear you use a more standard size sheet (if ya call that standard lol).

anyway have a good day,

greg aka gw
  5. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

image scaling

GW, how did you scale down my images and keep them looking good? I tried simply changing 'image size' in PS but didn't get good results. Did you do anything else to them?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

Well now I have adobe photo deluxe home edition version 3.0 I think.....anyway whatever it is, they dont make it anymore, but, if you use photoshop, you probably have some of the same buttons I have. What I use to resize photos is in the "save and send column" and called "ADOBE PAGE MILL" . First it allows me to trim the image, then allows me to resize it with my own size specifications, then I can reduce the resolution, then save the newly sized image.
    Look around in photoshop (I have never even seen what photoshop looks like personally) I bet you have similar functions in there.
    I also have adobe photo deluxe business edition, also out of publication if I am not mistaken, and another photo editing program called "photo explosion" and still another by arcsoft called arcsoft photo studio that came with one of my digital cameras. So i know that if all of those programs have a function similar to "Page mill" then PS should also.
    But as you reduce the size in "page mill", it tells you the new "file size" thereby allowing you to stop when you get it to a point that it will fit here.
    As for "crispness", that is just something that these programs have never given me anytrouble with when editing photos using the reduce function. Now enlarging will sometimes give me trouble.
    Anyway, if you have anymore questions, feel free to email me or post here, either way I will get you message. Or if you need more photos resized, you are more than welcome to send them to me and I will resize them for you.

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  7. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Hey John,
    I agree with everything the rest of these guys have said. Your models looks great! I love the huge scale. What would we have to do to persuade you to take our money in return for those beautiful planes of yours? More importantly, what would I have to do to persuade you to design a B-17 in that wonderfully large scale. ;-)

Please post some more pictures if you get the chance.
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Selling models...

Hmm... I guess it would just take me getting off my butt.
    I'm not sure how to go about anything like that anyhow, I guess I could deliver them electronically, but I worry that eventually they would be all over the web just like Paris Hilton. I don't have a website or anything like that. If I had any vacation time I could sure use it for this. The Tempest is ready to go- but it does need instructions- even I needed them, and I designed the thing. It has about a 22" span, interior, and gear with bays. What do you guys think it should go for?
    Maybe if there are any retailers out there in the forum I could just give them a PDF and work out a royalty thing and let them handle all the dealings. Isn't 'Joseph' the guy from Spishop? I remember, while I was ordering some models a while back, talking to him and saying "I'm designing a Hawker Tempest model and I think it's going to be good... hint hint'; but I guess I sounded like an amatuer crackpot since he didn't bite.
    I'll work on some basic instructions soon and then go from there.

The B-17 idea sounds awesome... I already have 4 kits in 1/33. I guess the only thing I could do differently would be the scale and paint schemes. Man, at 1/24 a B-17 would have a 52" span... tempting!

Here are some more links to images. I just scaled down a couple of the Tempest pages.

9. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Very nice looking plane!! I think $7-10 dollars would be a good price for it. You can talk to Dewayne on the left side of the page you can see his site http://www.teuton.org/dbarnett/
    or Mike at Gremirmodels.com
    They both deliver electronic models via websites. They take pay pal and other means of payment. Very convinient, fast and awesome customer service.
    You can also talk to Joseph at SPI shop, he does electronic models as well as Hobbyfactory.com
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Thanks Dimas.

John - check your messages.
  11. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

OK, I will figure out how to do that (check my messages). I forgot about those.

Thanks, John.
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Keeping it a PDF is a good idea........personally I like to be able to change models to suit my fancy and I can do that with unlocked PDFs.

Horus at www.paperwarbirds.com would be a good dealer site that wasn't suggested.

Heck cut the middle man out and just offer it yourself.............if you design it...... They will come.........(especially at this scale :grin: )

You could do the paypal thing yourself and email the pdfs out to whomever bought it. Yes I know Pirates are around and sometimes can piss you off, but MOST of us are pretty trustworthy........right guys?

Just one man's opinion.

13. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

about distributing the model

Well, all the interest has taken me by surprise, frankly, so I will work toward getting it (them) available soon.
    First things first; I have to get instructions ready, and then finish the actual P-47 model as well.
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement... I am getting on the ball with it.
    After I get all this out of the way... I really like the Spitfire and Hellcat.

14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Spitfire and Hellcat.....
    YEAH!!!! [​IMG]

And if any suggestions are possible - Spitfire Mk. IXc ZX-6 from Polish Fighting Team (aka Skalski's Circus) from North Africa - I know, my Polish heritage is showing [​IMG]
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

A TBF Avenger(Tarpon!!??) in Royal Navy colors would be nice.

But Hellcat and Spits do wet the appetite!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John, guys,

Personally, nothing screams "vintage" to me more than this bird:
    The T6 Texan would be beautiful in these "traditional" markings and color scheme with the fine job of weathering you have done. I know it wasnt a "glamorous" aircraft but its a beauty.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  17. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

well guys this 2 models ara more then butifull but i not got the point yet if its going to be free 1 or copyright 1 and wer he going to releas :(
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It's OK..............I'm still waiting (picture a little boy, with legs crossed, hoping around looking for a bathroom with a very desperate expression on his face).

20. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

about the 'release' of my 'two models'

Well, yes, I suppose I am going to charge for them (to answer Yaniv's question, although not sure how much yet. In my estimation they are of the general quality of the later GPM models, and have about ten pages each. Maybe a buck a page or thereabout.
    'Shoki' has been trying to convince me of the feasiblity of e-delivery vs. sending actual card thru the post. I admit I was a bit worried about them getting plastered all over the internet, but as they say 'any publicity is good publicity' (not that I want that to happen).
    As it stands now I may end up just letting one of the vendors who has an established website do the delivery... I am but a humble modeler.
    I'll be trying to get the Tempest instructions wrappe up this weekend.