Hawker Tempest

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by fluthecrank, Jun 17, 2006.

1. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi folks,

there are nice pics in the gallery of a very interesting Hawker Tempest. Very impressive is the skin of the model. I aksed the author who the publisher is but got no answer so far. Does anybody else know something about ??

The author is John Griffin.

best regards and thanks for information

2. Texman

Texman Guest

If John follows his previous Tempest Mk V, it will probably be through Michael Krol over at www.gremirmodels.com
  3. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Thank you

Thank you Texman,

I just bought it :) :) :)

4. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Hi all. I am finishing the test-build of the MkII Tempest. I just really need to finish assembly so I can hae some pictures for Gremir's web page! The thing has been 'this' close for three weeks now...
    It will be available soon I promise.

5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Do you have any specs on the models themselves? Such as, degree of difficulty, number of parts, wingspan, etc. Unfortunately, Michael's site doesn't contain this info, and I think it would be helpful when making a purchase.
  6. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Well, they are 1/24 scale, span is aout 20.5". The Tempest V has 11 pages (9 card, 2 paper to laminate) and I counted about 190 parts, but that doesn't include stuff like the joiners that are to be separated from the fuselage sections, and a second set of bulkheads. The bulkheads are normally to be printed twice (for bulkhead-to-bulkhead construction). I would rate the D of D at 2 out of 3 on the GPM scale for the most part... there are a few areas that are trickier to build though- like the front of the chin and the OB wing leading edge curves. These areas might be closer to 3 out of 3.
    My main concern is parts fit and surface art quality, which I would rate as pretty nice.

There are also 6 pages of detailed written instructions (in English!) and 3 pages of good
    I have built the thing 5 times now, so it is easier for me than when I started... maybe some like Bowdenja or you other guys who've bought one could more accurately rate the D of D.

Thanks, John.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... Buy it you will LIKE it. I would put two thumbs up but it won't let me!

The first Tempest was/IS a GREAT Model! A Pleasure to build, fantastic coloring and WEATHERING, part fit was VERY good! I don't do butt-joints very well, so I converted my build of it to connecting strips and only printed one copy of the former(bulkheads) for internal support.

The chin and wings are the toughest parts to put together but with a little patients and perseverance they go together very nicely!

I can not wait until this new one is finished and I WILL be one of the first in line to buy it.

Don't know about a build rating system thingy, but I put mine together pretty quick for the display I had at the library, and it went over very well!

Oh....... I scaled it down to 1/32, which was very easy since the software that Michael sends the files with allows this to be easily done by selecting the scale before you print.

Bottom line........... A very good model well worth the price, I liked it so much I'm going to buy the new version.