Having a custom body made...

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by savageracing25, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. is there somone out there that could make a body? i want a 71 chevelle body. My dad has a few and i want to bring my truck to some car shows and put it in front of my dads car like a ''mini me'' lol.

mike
    [}:)]
  2. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

check the internet. If your dad has one, you can take it to a plastics factory, and they have a special process where they mold plastic over your dads body to make a new one, I dont know just an idea, we did that in plastics class at school, lol
  3. lol if there is a piece ofdust on his car he is like AHHHHH:( i dont think he would want that on there lol thanks
  4. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

thats wat i was thinkin as i read it. it might peel the poaint or at least the clear coat. chevells are one of my favorite cars. novas are nice too. i'm sure you could have a body shop make you one. they just need to heat up a piece of plastic so it is warm but not melted and shape it
  5. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

Ya in my plastics class we did vacuum forming, you get a flat peice of plastic, put the mold in, then heat up the plastic, then a vacuum pulls the plastic over the mold and then its formed!
  6. monsterrcbuilder04

so it would make more sense to make a metal body first and then just form the plastic around that.look forward to spending a bit of money but yopu'll still have a sick custome body.you could have alot made and sell them. i would buy one for my savage as long as it not that expensive and you could sell a lot on ebay.just some food for thought
  7. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

Ya, but I dont know how much those machines cost, ya it would be better to make your own mold out of metal, I just thought Id say how bodies are made on my other reply
  8. monsterrcbuilder04

well i came up with that from what you had said about the vacum machine. i would just use thin aluminum as long as you dont do a lot of big jumps and crack it. it would be easy to get dents out. i would end up crushing the whole#@$% thing
  9. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

how would jumps mess up the mold? I guess I dont get what youre saying
  10. monsterrcbuilder04

no im saying that instead of doing the whole plastic thing you could have an aluminum body made.but then it could crack and dent.
  11. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

but the vacuum former will only work with plastic, not metal, unless your saying to forget the whole vacuum former alltogether. Ya it would dent alot, and if you get it thick enough it might be too heavy
  12. You might be able to find a Chevelle RC body online (towerhobbies, rcboyz etc.) and then just find some one to paint it. I imagine you could find some one on radiocontrolzone that would paint you a nice body. All you would have to do is send them a picture of your dad's car.
  13. my dad gave me a good point why can i just find a modle chevelle that is the right size and melt the lexan on that? would that work>?
  14. It probably would work, but It wouldn't be the look you are going for. It would be uneven and probably not ver nice looking.
  15. redheat

redheat Member

Get a hold of Proline ,maybe they can steer you in the right direction. As far as molds go I believe that manufactures use clay to make the mold. Making the mold is were most of the cost is , and the material it's self is not that expensive. Red
  16. ok i am gonna see what i can do....thanks
  17. monsterrcbuilder04

i havn't seen a model that big b4. i tried using model bodies on mini cars before though. they brake easy.maybe i should have used it as a mold as you said
  18. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

Ya I can see a model breaking very easy, usually model plastic is very brittle
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.