Has this ever happened to you?

Hey guys,has this ever happened to you? Last weekend I finally got everything I needed to do the soldering on my layout. I did a little practicing and was satisfied with the results.But since then NADA! Everytime I say that I'm going to get up early and work on the layout,something else comes up and nothing gets done. I work from 3-11 PM and am too tired when I get home to do anything.
For me this is frustrating and I just wanted to know if anyone else has been through this experience. Bob wall1

N

nachoman

Yep. Car breaks. Good football game. Family duties...

Time is prescious!

Kevin

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Bob,

Hate to do this to you, but the story of my last two years is very similar...! :eek: :(

However, it is a hobby, and I once read something very wise about it:

"The most important thing about the hobby is that it is not the most important thing."

Frustrating from time to time to be sure, and I feel for you. Don't worry though, things will change! I recently broke the cycle of inactivity because my 4 year old observed that I hadn't run the trains in a while, so she wanted to help me "set them back up"... ;) :D

Andrew

Thanks guys-at least I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I suspect part of my problem is that I tend to get antsy when I see the layout just sitting there waiting while I attend to other things. Bob

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Thanks guys-at least I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I suspect part of my problem is that I tend to get antsy when I see the layout just sitting there waiting while I attend to other things. Bob

Actually...walking away during the summer helped me a lot. In fact I barely looked at my layout. I put in a ton of effort over the last winter and was getting burned out. Now, I'm just getting back into the swing of it again and feeling good about getting things rolling.

steamhead

I think that most of us...even the most die-hard practicioners of the hobby, have these "mood" swings, particularly after a period of putting in some "intensive" effort into our trains....I know it happens to me...:sad:

kwstang

Yep, know how that is. In at 730am home by 730pm. And the places that you need to purchase track items are only open Mon to Friday!

SEBRET

I agree with all the above. I'm a card modeler, but for any hobby, most people tend to make great strides in their work and get burned out. I always end up shooting through a lot of work on the weekends. Even though I tend to get some time here and there during the week, It's almost a chore to get up the interest to simply look at my WIPs. I normally use that time to focus on what I have already done and examine what I have learned from it, kind of like an after test review, just to make sure it sets in.

Again thanks everyone. I guess we all have things in our lives that happen and somehow we all have to work through them. Thanks again-Bob

jeffrey-wimberl

Yep. Other things come up, back starts cutting up, good program comes on, etc. Which is really too bad because there's a place on the backside of the inside loop that's getting bad contact.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Actually I'm sitting here, at work, right now, thinking about how I can't wait to get home and start plugging away again. :mrgreen:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I used to work a job, twelve hour shifts, two days on, two days off, every other weekend, three straight days. The second day of my two days off was ususally the prime-time for modeling, the first was for sleep.

Since my layout is in the attic, during the summer it was early in the morning after Better-half went to work. Workshop in the afternoon. I really got a lot done those days. Since I've been on a regular eight hour day, its hard to find time after work. Saturday afternoon(work in the morning) is spent with Better-Half(Family time is priority number 1), Sundays, February to November..Races. Leaves Saturday night for layout time. After November....Look out!