Has Anyone Used This N Gauge Engine?

holdenburg

Hello All...
Still working on aquiring a complete set for my project. I have a link to *bay for a Lifelike N Gauge C&NW Engine for my passenger train. In most of the older photos on the C&NWHS site, the 400's used E7's and I think earlier models. These are tough to find.
There is an E8 replica for sale here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA% 3AIT&viewitem=&item=180047458486&rd=1&rd=1

Does anyone here have experience with this type of N Gauge Life-Like Engine or any recommendations on another site I can look at the C&NW line?

Thanks... and Happy New Year Everyone... :wave:

shaygetz

If it's anything like their HO releases, that pup's a pulling hoss. I have two of their HO E8s and they've never failed me, pulling a ten passenger car consist several hundred laps a day at most train shows.

Russ Bellinis

I'm not sure. The ho scale models that Shaygetz refers to are p2k models. Lifelike p2k and p1k are well built locomotives with outstanding drive systems in ho. The standard ho guage Lifelike stuff just a couple of years ago are just junk. I don't know what they are like in n-scale.

K.V.Div

The N scale E8 from LifeLike is the last locomotive model that they produced without using a split frame chassis. That being said, it has the same 5 pole moter that is used in their later locos and it is equipped with 2 flywheels and both trucks are powered on 2 axles with the center axle unpowered. This makes the unit an A1A truck configuation which is accurate for all E Units. Weight is made up of 2 large lead peices shaped to fill as much of the interior as possible without interfering with the fit of the body, which makes the locomotive very heavy.
I have seen one pull 96 freight cars (all weighted to the NMRA RP20.1 weight standard) on our NTrak layout with no problems at all.
I understand that the newest release of the LifeLike E8 has been completely re-designed and now has the split frame chassis and all the other features of their newer locomotives.
Cheers!

Terry

holdenburg

Thank you all!... Happy New Year!!

:wave:
K.V.Div said:
The N scale E8 from LifeLike is the last locomotive model that they produced without using a split frame chassis. That being said, it has the same 5 pole moter that is used in their later locos and it is equipped with 2 flywheels and both trucks are powered on 2 axles with the center axle unpowered. This makes the unit an A1A truck configuation which is accurate for all E Units. Weight is made up of 2 large lead peices shaped to fill as much of the interior as possible without interfering with the fit of the body, which makes the locomotive very heavy.
I have seen one pull 96 freight cars (all weighted to the NMRA RP20.1 weight standard) on our NTrak layout with no problems at all.
I understand that the newest release of the LifeLike E8 has been completely re-designed and now has the split frame chassis and all the other features of their newer locomotives.
Cheers!

Terry

Thanks Terry!
Wow, 96 Cars! Has anyone of you setup DCC on one of these?

Thank you...

Herb

Russ Bellinis

I don't model n-scale, but it sounds like you will need to remove one of the weights and cut out an space to fit your decoder. Replace the weight and install the decoder. You will sacrifice a little pulling power, but at 96 cars that thing pulls better than the prototype ever did!

holdenburg

Ok, Lots to look at when this arrives...

Russ Bellinis said:
I don't model n-scale, but it sounds like you will need to remove one of the weights and cut out an space to fit your decoder. Replace the weight and install the decoder. You will sacrifice a little pulling power, but at 96 cars that thing pulls better than the prototype ever did!

Hi Russ;

No, this is going to be a C&NW 400 line with about 6 to 7 passenger cars. The 400's used E7's and E8's as I have looked in the historical photo's on the C&NWHS .org site. I have 6 Atlas passenger cars coming in that I won on *Bay. A Four car set brand new and a Two car set brand new.

I found another 2 that are used now on *Bay and I found and another one of the older Italian cars that are rare. I am looking at these other cars as extras and just to see how the quality changes between different companies like Kato and Atlas etc.

I will use this E8 and see how it goes and once I get better at N Gauge I am sure I will find different equipment that I will prefer and some that will be average.
What I find interesting here is that some modelers are able to make improvements on existing equipment by tweeking specific aspects of the engine. Plus many folks here have so much experience in the other aspects of N gauge and HO. Really some cool threads here and interesting things to see folks build out their layouts and progress to scenery etc.

Thanks for the help here!
(How many Happy New Years have you had today??)sign1

Best Regards and Happy New Year!;
Herb

holdenburg

Thanks...

shaygetz said:
If it's anything like their HO releases, that pup's a pulling hoss. I have two of their HO E8s and they've never failed me, pulling a ten passenger car consist several hundred laps a day at most train shows.

Shaygetz...
Thanks for the update... I went after the lifelike and purchased it. A whopping $35.00. This is one of the reasons I was aprehensive. Some different Kato units are going for $85.00 and more!...

Herb

holdenburg

Demo'd Sound etc on Digitrax Site

Russ Bellinis said:

Russ...
Thanks...
The more I read on Digitrax and Railroad Co. the better it sounds. (pun intended)
I would like to visit a site that is local to me and check it out some more ...

Regards;

Herb