Has anyone done it?

Woodie

Has anyone plugged their DCC system into a computer, and controlled any aspect of their layout (including locos of course) from their computer?

I'm gunna give it a try this weekend, if I get some time. :D :thumb:

kadidle

Woody, as it happens, I got my locobuffer and was able to control our christmas layout (4x6' HO) with a laptop running Linux and JMRI. Was pretty slick, can't wait to try it on the one we're building! :D

LisaP4

I don't personally use a computer, but I know a few people just do some shunting (switching) in the yard while the rest of the layout runs itself! JMRI can be a bit limited for controlling the layout, try Train Controller - www.friewald.com - everyone I know says it's the best on the market, and having had a play with it I'm quite impressed, I may end up using it to run my fiddle yard.

Fusion

What are all manufacturers that make software for DCC? I heard some actually simulate the amount of fuel your loco has and will make it stop if not filled/reset. Very cool stuff.

kadidle

Personally, I'm going to be running SRCPD under Linux, and use PHP and webserver in there to build something that allows not only the dispatcher to see whats going on, but us some CLCC(Cheap Lil Crummy Computers) to display the schedual and such around the layout. Additionally it should be possible to hook up with another club/person running the software to allow runs from one layout to another.

pgandw

The biggest headache in computer control is not the software, nor the computer, but the sensors that are needed to "read" the layout status, and feedback/confirm status changes. The complexity of the sensor system grows very quickly with the number of trains and turnouts.

Every time a DCC command is issued, the physical implementation of the command must be detected by sensors so that the computer knows that 1) the command has been implemented 2) the layout status has changed. A system that assumes command implementation without separate detection will soon get out of synch with reality due to error build-up. You will also need within the software a dispatcher over-ride, again to keep the synchronization of layout status despite errors creeping in.

It's been done, but not easily.

Yours in dispatching