Has anyone built the Klingon D7 by Marc Robitaille?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MOS95B, Feb 27, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I am trying to finish up the Klingon D7 by Marc Robitaille. So far, even without instructions and a slightly fuzzy "paint job" I am loving this model from http://www.geocities.com/billysworld22/stmodels.html

Unfortunately, my inexperience has finally overidden my built in Star Trek nerdiness and I've hit a stumbling point. I can not figure out the parts to connect the Access Boom to the Engineering Hull.... (The skinny nec to the almost triangular bit where the wings come out)

If anyone has built this model and can take some pics of that area, and the whole build for comaprison, I would be eternally grateful. OK, maybe not eternally, but you'd get a good couple of weeks worth of gratitude...

BTW, some of my early build pics are available at http://www.mos95b.com/New/-Models/

Thanks again
  2. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

I can help...Maybe

I built it as a Christmas gift for a friend. After glueing the head onto the boom lead, the obtuse angle needed to fix the back of the boom to the engineering section was easier to guesstimate. I'll see if I can find the pictures I took.

The exact angle, in my opinion, isn't critical as long as the relative position of the head looks like the computer model from the side and back of the ship.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

It's not the angle. I am more than enough of a long time Trekkie/Trekker to figure that out. It's trying to figure out how all the little parts fit together that's got me stumped.

Pictures and/or more advice would be awesome, though!!!

Also, did you build it full size (8 1/2 x 11)?? The artwork made it seem like it wasn't meant to be printed that large....
  4. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

I Hope These Help You

Here is my build. I just matched whatever looked right. Given the variablity among designs and construction, it is much like wall paper hanging on walls that aren't perfect square: all but the most exacting viewers will notice any discrepancy.

I built it as sized in the original file. Any parts or surfaces extending beyond one printed sheet were joined together with lapjoints of paper strips. Trim off any lines at edges to be butted together for the lapjoint.

Small piece location around the boom are a little vague but the computer model pictures help figure them out once you can identify the same piece in different views.

Relax and have fun. It is a hobby after all.

Attached Files:

5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Sweet. Thanks. Those should help...

Looks good, by the way
  6. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

One more thought...

Thank you for the compliment. Glad I could help.

There are some rectangular block structures on the top surface by the impulse engines that I relocated slightly aft of what is shown in those pictures. The front of those left and right hand blocks are even with the striped curved louvered wall ends. It makes the back of the blocks slightly extend over the impulse engines.
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yeah, I dug through every picture I could find of the D7s to get them aligned. A great resource for any Trek model is Star Trek LCARS Blueprint Database As the name suggests, there's tons of Trek blueprints on that site...