hardened steel tube?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by NULLMOON, Sep 27, 2008.

NULLMOON Member

im looking for and have been looking for some time something to punch disks and holes below the sizes offered by the otherwise exellent screw punch(around 0.4-0.6mm) ive tried with limited sucsess to create a punch using shapened hollow tubes of brass or mild steel the main problem with this is that they blunt and deform after the first few tries, so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this front, would piano wire work? or is hardened steel tube avalible? or tube of other matirial that would survive repeated use
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

There was a thread ages ago suggesting that good micro punches could be made from hypodermic needles. The author had access to needles of quite large internal diameter.

3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Google "Small Parts" which has a catalog of parts for the amateur inventor/machinist/hobbyist....out kind of wizard.

Look for hypdermic tube stock, which is made from high carbon steel quite suitable for the purpose you have in mind.

The tube stock comes in a wide variety of diameters including quite small ones. You can cut a piece with a tubing cutter, chuck it in the end of a rotary tool and grind the cutting edge.

You really need a couple of grind stones, preferably an Arkansas coarse and fine. But, just about any grinding stone from Home Depot will do the trick. The thing to remember is that you need to finish with a fine grit and make sure you use oil during the process.

After some experimentation, you will find the best angle, but 14 degrees is a good enough place to start.

NULLMOON Member

thanks just gotta find a suplier now i know what im looking for:thumb:
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Small Parts

Small Parts is an end user distributor for the retail trade. You can purchase small quantities. If you Google "hypodermic tubing" you will get any number of direct suppliers but you may have to buy in bulk.

If you are just making punches, Small Parts is the way to go and their prices are really very good.

NULLMOON Member

ace, im not sure what im looking for thogh everthings in inches anyone know of a good converter for mm/cms to inches
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm
    Multiply inches by 2.54 to get cm

Divide mm by 25.4 to get inches
    Divide cm by 2.54 to get inches

Here is a converter that is free and has a lot of conversions

NULLMOON Member

just to check im doing the math right 0.02 inches is about .5 mm is that right?
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

.508mm to be more exact, necessary if the ID is listed that accurately.

NULLMOON Member

0.02 is the closest avalible to the reqired size a little out is not an issue ok now i know i can order some tube from smallparts to make my punches..thanks for the help everyone:thumb: