harbor freight air compressor

N

nachoman

Anyone have one of those cheap harbor freight pancake air compressors? I am thinking about getting one primarily to use with the airbrush. I envision also using it for tire inflating and other light household stuff. I don't have much space for a larger compressor, or much money for a larger compressor.

My question is: How long do they last? 50 bucks is not a good value if I just wind up having to replace it in a year. I don't plan on using it much, maybe about once a month.

I know they are noisy - and this is not a huge issue since I won't be using it much. Any other concerns to watch out for here?

Kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I was tempted to buy one of those, but about a year ago I bought one of their six gal ones for $89 instead. I had an old Sears one that took up too much room and ran on 220, so I couldn't use it anywhere except the garage. I'm pleased with my new one and use it quite a bit.

I've got a workshop full of Harbor Freight tools, and they've not disappointed me, especially the electrical ones. The only thing I wouldn't recommend from there are their "Drill Master" drills. The batteries don't last long at all. I've got a couple of their "Chicago Electric" drills, and some of those batteries are still going after ten years.

N

nachoman

Well, I got myself a compressor today from harbor freight tools. It has a 2-gallon cylindrical tank and is very lightweight and portable. I've tested it out using my airbrush, and it works great! And, it's not as noisy as I thought it would be. It set me back 59.99. About the only thing I am disappointed with is the hose it came with - a cheap plastic coil hose. But, those are easily replaceable. A 2-gallon tank seems suitable for an airbrush. It is large enough that the compressor does not run continuously. In fact, I can usually apply several coats of paint before the compressor turns on again.

Kevin