Happy Day from San Diego

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Snyperkitty, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

OK, so since I've got the bug for papercraft in a serious way, I figure it's time to take the first step and admit I have a problem. I'm a total addict. My brother introduced me to papercraft last year (he's a newbie here too...."Crazy Potashman") and I've been enjoying the hobby immensely ever since. I have a crazy work life, so this hobby helps me unwind.

I've finished four models since August 2006: a couple robots, the space shuttle, and the Batman Tumbler (which I just finished last night). I'm debating my next project right now, either Howl's Moving Castle or another Chromehound (my first model was one of the three Chromehound robots).

I realized a while ago that I've actually had a "thing" for papercraft since I was a little boy. When I was about 10 years old (27 years ago..and Crazy Potashman was just an infant) I was fascinated with making three dimensional objects out of paper. My dad worked in construction and I wanted to make him a truck out of cardboard for his birthday. So I used oak tag, a ruler and a pencil, drew the crude little boxes and cut out the parts and used masking tape to connect everything together. Everything was great (to my ten year old eyes...so it's relative) until I decided to paint the thing. I used some of my father's black spray paint. Shortly after applying the paint, the adhesive on the tape dissolved, and the paper warped. The model collapsed before my eyes...It was a horrifying feeling...and too late to fix it as it was my father's birthday.

So, I think that is one of the reasons why I was so drawn to this hobby...to finish later in life something I dreamed of and quit as a kid. I'm happy I found this hobby "again."

So, there's my formal "introduction." I'm glad to be here and look forward to contributing in my small way to the community. I'll prep and post some pics of the work I've done so far in the near future. In the meantime, keep your blade sharp.

2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Welcome Snyperkitty!

I like your avatar - it's got real attitude!8)

3. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Welcome, neighbor! :)
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome! Alright, bringing the whole family! A great place to be for the additcted!

5. What wuh... wha?!
    Who's this Snyperkitty fella?

Wait wait.

My big brother!

It's great to see you, bro.

Now post some pics!

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold buddy! Glad your bro talked you into joining us here!
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A hearty welcome to you Snyperkitty!
    It's always good to see another addict join up!

Sounds like you are really having a great time with this hobby!
    Your enjoyment is contagious so keep sharing with all us other addicts!

Great to have you here! Welcome to the family!

8. Darwin

Darwin Member

Welcome aboard. Always room for more avitars with attitude.
  9. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Dude!! "Bill for president. This time, why not the worst?" My favorite strip of all time. Welcome!
  10. Kaz

Kaz Member

Welcome snyperkitty.
    Have you decided on your next build yet? you seem to have a penchant for anime models.... Howls is a very nice model, if a bit vague in parts.
  11. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

I believe I've settled on the next Chromehound...I want to wait on HMC until I have a greater comfort level for the way paper models are designed...so I can navigate better around any vagueness in the instructions.
  12. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

Actually, I am in Escondido too...but thought San Diego was more universally well known. Have you been to the museum downtown for the paper craft display yet? I believe it's on Grand...and is open through July sometime.
  13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Welcome aboard Snyperkitty.

I tried sending my brother some kits for his birthday last year but he hasn't got into them yet. This year I'm planning on sending him a completed model. That should get him. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Snyperkitty,...semi-neighbor!

My wife is HORRIFIED by that name...I assured her that the CAT is doin' the shooting...calmed her right down! lol

Help yourself to a few free toys on my signature. Just for fun ya know!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.