Happier Model Building

blueeyedbear

Jan 25, 2006
I did something last month that all of you should try. I built a P-40C in AVG livery for an 85 year old neighbor who was a Flying Tiger. I really get little pleasure from the Grumman Duck or the Brewster Buffalo hanging over my computer, but-------

Scout around for an elderly neighbor who was a flier or sailor or soldier and build him (or her --- don't overlook the WASPs and WACs and WAVES and current troopers) something appropriate.

TRY IT. YOU'LL LIKE IT!

Bob

rowiac

Jan 25, 2004
NorCal, USA
A while back I built a PModel A-4 for a work buddy of mine in the USMC markings of the unit he supported in Vietnam. I brought it to work for him as a surprise and I'd swear it almost brought a tear to his eye.

He's not elderly, but even so he appreciated the gesture a lot!

Roger

IMG_0544resize.jpg

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
blueeyedbear, your absolutley right,
I gave away my second I-16 to a customer who loved that little plane as much as I do. It is a very warming experience to see the look on someones face who appreciates some small gesture like that.

46rob

Mar 30, 2005
Pensacola Fl
I make models of the planes we restore out at the musuem for the restoration crews--I'm just finishing up a Brewster SB2A Buccanneer, recolored and added ski's to the 'Que Sera Sera', R4D that landed at the south pole in 1956. Creating a JD-1 and Coronado right now, for their eventual roll out. Just finished a Zero for the crew getting it ready. Problem is: some planes come in and out faster than I can design or repaint models. Someday I'll get them all--but I gotta split my time between card and the real thing.

jparenti

Jun 3, 2006
Vienna, Illinois, USA
Maybe it's slightly off topic, but the same idea: I had a friend in the hospital last year after a car accident. I built him a model of Bender (the robot from the TV show Futurama) instead of the same old get well card. He liked it a lot more than a card, and he kept it longer than flowers would have lasted, since he still has it a year later.
Still looking for the USS L.Y. Spear for my girlfriend's parents (they served on it in the Navy...)

MOS95B

Feb 19, 2007
Robbinsdale MN USA
www.mos95b.com
I did something similar who let me park my car in his driveway after our last snowstorm. It was nice to see his reaction over a simple StarDestroyer model, but Bob definitely has me trumped.

My father-in-law was in WWII. I gotta try and pry some more info out of him now....