Hang It

FC Alturas

Yesterday my awesome wife brought me an add for a Prostor Heavy Lift Storage System. It is a system that lets you hang most anything from your garage ceiling. I called the company and talked to their customer service rep. She said that it would be more than capable to pupport a layout in fact serveral of her people are using them. I ordered two from sears because she also said that Sears has the best price. She also wants pictures so..........I find out in a couple of weeks.
Lee

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's really interesting! Thanks for the information...not because I'm planning to suspend my layout...but because I just bought a canoe! :)

Keep us up to date on how it works for you while I visit my local Sears.
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks Cid for that link, it gives us a better idea what we're talking about here. One concern is how to keep the thing from swaying around when you touch it, seeing how it is supported from the ceiling by four cables. If other people are using it for layouts, I'm sure they've taking that into account, but it should rest on something when it's down to give it stability. Another concern is dust. That's one reason I moved my layout from the garage to inside the house. Layouts and garages aren't really that compatable, especially when you also have a woodworking shop in it.:eek::eek:

But that does look like a great solution to a limited-space problem. Let us know how it works out for you.:)

Don, if you're concerned with dust, this is great, you build a box that is installed at the top. when the layout is up, it's encased, thus no dust.

But i agree, some fold down table legs ro such should be used to keep it from swaying when down.

of Course you could build something similar to this for probably cheaper too, this is only a 4x4' area, so anything bigger would require some custom built system.

Pooh Bah
For legs, you could get a sawhorse kit and let the layout rest on a couple of sawhorses. This is the brackets to make a sawhorse out of 2x4s. They can usually be dismantled or folded up out of the way.

FC Alturas

Up date;
I got the hangers yesterday. Looks like they will work out ok. With the way my house is built I'm having to with plan "B" installing 90 degrees to the joist. Hopefully I'll get them in before I get redeployed in July. Pixs soon.
lee

FC Alturas

Hey guys;
Finally an update. After a couple of false starts and hardware glitches. I have the system on the ceiling. A couple of things. Be sure and check the direction and spaceing of the joists my were not 16" centers so I had to do plan "B". Also the hardware in the kit is junk. Do you know what it's like to have a bolt go whizzzing past your ear when you turn around.I had to replace most of it with airplane stuff. I called the manufacture and they are replacing all the ones that I had problems with. All in all it looks like it's gonna work. Find out tonight.
Lee

dwight77

Looking forward to the results you attain. Please send pictures and also let us know what size train board you are hanging. Thanks

Dwight77