Hand uncoupling

Play-Doh

Ok let me get this straight

There are three types of magnetic uncouplers.

Electormagnetic- Activated uncoupling with the push of a button

Instant Uncoupler magnet- Uncouples upon cars passing over it.

Delayed Uncoupler Magnet- uncouples after a coupler is "Spotted" over the magnet.

Am I right? And by "Spotted' what are we talking in terms of time...1/2 second...or is it just slow uncoupling so a moving train would stay coupled.

These stand alone magnets still work after ballasting over them right?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
As a note to folks who might have rolling stock with the old horn hook style couplers, you don't have to be left out of the uncouplng game! A three sided mini file works GREAT as an uncoupling tool for these couplers. Insert it between the couplers from above and give a slight twist. The couplers open just like magnetic ones do with a skewer.

Gary, glad to see so much interest in the ops forum. We appreciate your efforts to generate discussion. Yep, setting out and picking up cars is what's its all about!

Ralph

Gary S.

Ralph said:
Gary, glad to see so much interest in the ops forum. We appreciate your efforts to generate discussion. Yep, setting out and picking up cars is what's its all about!

Just glad to be here, Ralph. The more I learn about the hobby, the more I migrate to the operations aspect versus the scenery aspect. My layout won't be one of scenic vistas, but there will be plenty of operations.

Bamboo BBQ skewer with pointy end - hold between thumb and forefinger, stick point betwen couplings and twist the top betwen fingers - couplers should pop apart
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Play-Doh

Gary S. said:
Oops... sorry Play-doh, for not responding sooner.

so what did you find out?

I figured out that the most important thing to me with the uncoupling is the reliability...therefore im gonna splurge and get the electric ones.

Gary S.

I am using the O scale electromagnets on my HO layout and they work great. The O scale electros come with 2 coils, I am running them in series on 24 volts.