Hand laying turnouts, supply problem...

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I am handlaying my turnouts (and maybe a few extras for the sake of sales later down the road). I am running into a supply issue...
The only place that I can seem to find pre-cut PCB ties or spikes is from handlaidtrack.com. They have good prices, and a good selection but because they are in Canada and I am in the States shipping costs are almost 10x that of the order. They want me to pay $50 (USD) to ship an order that is less than $5 and it would get to me in almost a month.
I have bought some PCB at Radio Shack (and it will work for now) that I have to hand cut, but if I do end up selling them, in order for it to be profitable I need to turn them out (pun intended) faster, hence pre-cut ties.
Google is not helpful in my quest to find a US dealer. Does anyone have any links they can share?

Matt

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Of course shipping is going to be $50 if you want it NOW!!!!! UPS is expensive.

If you can hold on to your shorts for a week, choose postal, small packet - it'll cost $5. If you really, just GOTTA have 'em, postal XpressPost will cost you $20.

Did you actually look at the various shipping options?

And how are you finding PC Board ties from Handlaid Tracks for under $12? About the only tie stuff I could find for under $10 were the off-cuts. All the tie packages I could see seem to be $12?

I think maybe you should double-check the options you selected on your shipping estimate.

N

nachoman

clover house is another supplier. You may try joining the handliad track yahoo group and asking.

I have cut my own using PCB I had on hand and a band saw. You may also try using a hobby table saw.

Kevin

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I've gotten stuff from fastracks, the shipping was never extravagent. Even got rail, which costs more to ship. I'd double check thihgs, and email them if it seems that off. In my experience they are quite responsive.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
When I was at fast tracks, the only shipping options that they were offering was UPS or FedEx, with an estimated delivery time of better than 1 month.
I am hand-cutting my PCB's now using a utility knife to score both sides, then a pair of duck-bill pliars to break them. It is working out fairly well, but I have to increase the speed.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
When I was at fast tracks, the only shipping options that they were offering was UPS or FedEx, with an estimated delivery time of better than 1 month.
I am hand-cutting my PCB's now using a utility knife to score both sides, then a pair of duck-bill pliars to break them. It is working out fairly well, but I have to increase the speed.
Hmmm, it has been a while, but the stuff I got was normal mail, and pretty quick. I'd call them!

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to give them a call. I tried to order via there website again and only got the pricey, slow shipping quotes.
It neve dawned on me that my zip code could be the problem. My address does not exist on any conventional maps (mapquest, yahoo maps, my GPS unit, google earth, etc, etc...) I run into mail order problems because of this.