Hand-laid track, part II

mhdishere

Since you folks were so helpful with my last question on hand-laying track, here's question number 2:

Where can I find PC-board ties, preferably mail-order.

I want to try some hand-laying, especially turnouts, and I can find all the stuff I need at First Place Hobbies online, but can't find PC-board ties to use for the throw bars. (I'm going to try spiking to wood ties instead of using PC ties elsewhere, but I do need something to solder to the points). I guess given the number I'll need I could buy some PC-board stock from Radio Shack and cut my own.

Thanks again!

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Originally posted by mhdishere
I guess given the number I'll need I could buy some PC-board stock from Radio Shack and cut my own.

I think that's your best bet...

I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to cut the PC-board by scoring and snapping it. Just like styrene...

Gary Pfeil

I know the area, I grew up in Teaneck and my best friend lives in New Milford. I think Belg lives there too. I asked because there is a fine hobby store in Denville and I wondered how convienient it would be for you. Not very I guess. Perhaps we could all get together one day.

belg

You're Kidding

I'm also in River Edge.I'd love to see how your hand laid ties look are you in nscale? Send me private mail if your interested in meeting. As I was typing Gary's reply just came thru.

mhdishere

No, I'm not kidding!

Belg,
Nope, HO scale for me. Havn't started construction yet, but one of these days I will. Once I have something worth showing I'll be happy to have you by to see!

I don't suppose you can recommend a good hobby shop in the area, can you? I've been to HiWay Hobbies on 17.

jkristia

Belg,
Here is an example of my handlaid track, it's code 40 N scale on PC ties.
There are more pictures on my webshot account.

Attachments

• resize of c40_handlaid.jpg
    resize of c40_handlaid.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 181

belg

jkristia, your hand laid track looks real good I'm just wondering how long did it take you to get that far? and how much money do you think you saved?

mhdishere, my favorite hobby shop is the depot at harrington park.68 schraalenburg rd. Just tell John, big Pat sent you he will treat you right. I also go to hudson shores model train depot 547 western hiway blauvelt ny behind the library. There closed this week for vacation.

jkristia

Belg, I didn't do it to save money, but because I like the look of C40 rail better than the Atlas C55 track that I'm replacing. I think that each 3 foot section of track is about $2.50 (rail, wood ties and PC ties), where ME 3' C40 flex track is about $4, so of course there is a saving compared to commercial C40 track, but not compared to Atlas C55 track. The big saving is with the turnouts. I use less than one length of a 3' rail (1$) to build a turnout, so I would guess that a turnout is probably less than $2, so there you have the big saving. But as I said, I didn't do it because of the saving, but because I like it, to build it and the look of it.

But yes, It does take much longer than if you are using commercial trackl. I would guess that it took me more than a month, maybe closer to 2, from I started this section until I had all the track down (maybe a total of 20-25 hours or so). A turnout takes 2-3 hours if you include the time it takes to cut and glue the ties. Once the ties are down, it takes less than 2 hours to actually build it (cut, file, shape and solder the rails), but I don't really count the hours if I'm enjoying what I'm doing...

mhdishere

Belg: Thanks for the hobby shop recommendations, I'll have to have a look.

For everyone else, I took a look at radio shack and they have double-sided PC boards that should serve my purposes, there was no price on them though :confused: and I didn't feel like waiting on line just to get the price. I'll be going on vacation a week from tomorrow, so after I come back I'll order my stuff and give it a whirl! I'll let you folks know how it works.

Gary Pfeil

I bought a panel of the double sided pcb material from Radio Shack a while back. I used an exacto saw to cut throw bars from it. It was a bit tedious. Then one day when I went to see Lackawanna Jim I brought the panel with me and he used his small bandsaw to cut the panel up for me. Which is all just a long way of saying that I can give you a couple throw bars for experimenting with if you'd like. Just let me know.

mhdishere

Gary,
Thanks for the offer, but I suppose part of my experimenting will be in cutting the PC boards. I'm assuming I can cut them with a untility knife, if that don't work there aren't many things you can't cut with a Dremel and a cut-off disk.

I'm fairly sure that hand-laying is the way I'll end up going, I just have to play around with it enough to get good at it.

Thanks again all who offered advice!