Hamo trains pre marklin

clay77

Apr 1, 2006
I have a set of Hamo street trolleys (various colors) and locomotives a v80 and a v160.I am interested in finding out a ballpark value for the locomotives.I have found several prices for the trolleys but can't find anything for the loco's.They were bought around '59-'60 and I have two of each kind One thats new in box and one that has been used some.I live in the midwest and all of the train enthusist i have talked to have either not heard of hamo Or says its made by marklin I am pretty sure these were made before marklin took over hamo.I am not looking to sale just would like to know what I have.Any help would be greatly apreciated.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Clay:wave:

First rule of model trains---Old does not necessarily mean valuable.

I'm not saying that what you have has no collectable value, I'm just preparing you for the very real possibility that what you have may not have a real market.

With that in mind, your best bet for real time value of a particular piece is Ebay. By going there and doing a search on Hamo, you'll be able to bookmark it then watch it over time to see how well they sell. I do it quite frequently and have not been disappointed for the wait. Some years back I received a box lot of pre-WWII Marklin tinplate with some post war diecast that was destined for the dumpster. I found it interesting to discover that most of the later diecast were of considerably more value than the tinplate. The one locomotive and the two powerpacks are not even recognized by the best Marklin folks I've found so keep looking.

Be patient, I have no doubt it'll be a good experience to research it and may even have a pleasant surprize waiting at the end.

clay77

Apr 1, 2006
Thanks for your response. actualy I have researched quite a bit over the last couple of years and watched ebay.Havent ever seen a Hamo diesel locomotive.From the prices I saw on ebay for the street cars(The few I have seen that are exactly like mine got nearly $1,000 or more)I think they have some collectability .I just cant find any info about the locomotives Just trying to figure out if they are as valuable as the street cars.