Hamilton Layout Tour

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Nov 20, 2006.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yesterday, I met up with Dr Wayne for a layout tour in and around Hamilton, chauffered and personally selected by the good doctor himself. :D

First stop, Wayne's place and a chance to see first hand his amazing layout. I brought along my kitbashed Mikado for a couple of photo ops.

Attached Files:

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Layout tour continued

Our next stop was the H.O.M.E.S. club layout, where the actual tour began.
    It's HO, 42' x 62', DCC and modelling CN, CP and TH&B set in Southern Ontario in the 1950s.

Attached Files:

3. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

wow i love the swing bridge!

all of that is really awesome! its blinding!
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice photos, Val,:thumb: must be the combination of a good camera and a steady hand.:)

5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

#2 Bus Halverson

Next stop a bustling metropolis in N scale. The layout is 15' x 20', Block control with mainly scratchbuild structures and a lot of animated elements. The owner explained it was CP because he was "mad at the government" when he started it, so he didn't want to model CN!!!
    The last photo shows a very unusual curved control panel. Neat!

Attached Files:

6. green_elite_cab

NOW THATS REALLY AMAZING! I mean, wow! i could get lost in there!
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys! I have more photos to upload but things seem to be going very slowly, so I'll try again later. Stay tuned!! :D

8. brakie

brakie Active Member

Great pictures of a great layout.Thanks for sharing
  9. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

FANTASTIC SHOTS, and LAYOUTS!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: CRIPES, you folks up there sure KNOW HOW to model!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: THANKS!!!:D -Deano
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Val - Nice Pictures. Thanks for sharing. The one train thing I did this weekend was go to Trains on Brant in Burlington. When I was there, I saw a notice for the tour -- of course this was at about 4:45 pm on Saturday afternoon. hamr Oh well...

Sounds like you Golden Horseshoe Gaugers had a great railroad-y weekend!

11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, Sweet pics. I love that one with the steel construction. I want to do something like that now:D :D :D :D
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks folks! Yes it was a lot of fun and inspiring to see all the great layouts.

As promised here are some more shots. First up is D&RGW. It's On3, 23" x 15' set in Colorado in 1930. Had a nice chat with the owner about the Colorado terrain, and how it goes from totally flat, to sudden mountains and then flat again. I think he really captured that flavour, and the time period as well with this layout.

Attached Files:

13. galt904

galt904 Member

The HOMES layout looks really good! Almost as good as Doctorwayne's :)

I wish they would have scheduled this on a different day than the Toronto Christmas show, then I may have considered going.
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Well, the Toronto show was on Sunday too (that's the day I went) ...but then there was also the Grey Cup and Santa Claus parade that day.... I guess it's just a busy time of year! :) Glad you like the photos. :D

15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I'm not sure which layout this is in the catalog, so I can't give you size etc. I do know it is done by one of the people from the Aberfoyle Junction club. It features cut-outs in the fascia that show the lower level.

For the last shot the owner kindly spotted the engine under the coaling tower for me to take photo. Most of the structures are scratchbuilt.

Attached Files:

16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Last one

Here's the last layout we visited, set in northern Ontario ca 1980s I would guess. Unfortunately not too many of my photo's of this layout turned out well enough to post and train shots were just a blur!! One really interesting thing about this layout was all the trees, hundreds and hundreds of them, and the trains snaking through the bush. A forest ranger tower was the highest structure - it really had the feel of norther Ontario.
    Anyway, here are a couple shots that were ok.

Attached Files:

17. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Well, that's it for this year folks. I want to send out a really big thank you to DoctorWayne for being my guide and chauffeur supremo, and of course to all the layout owners! THANKS!!!

18. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

I think it's awesome of you to take us vicariously with you.:thumb: Great layouts, great photos, great company, and a trip to the "Doctor's office".....what more could anyone want!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. green_elite_cab

I spy a UH-1!

cool stuff, but the first picture isn't showing up.
  20. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Green - which "first picture" are you having trouble with? I can see all of them with no problems...