halogen lighting

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
If memory serves me correctly (which it often doesn't)...

Incandescent is usually around 2800 degrees K
Halogen is between 3000-3300 degrees K
and unfiltered sunlight (cloudless day) is 5500 degrees K

Somewhere, I have a book I got at Mole Richardson lighting when I was working at a studio out in Hollywood. It lists not only the temperatures of all kinds of lighting but also the temps of various sources using all different kinds of gels. I'll have to see if I can find it...

Tom F

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Light is measured in degrees Kelvin, and at around mid-day outside, is roughly 55OO degrees Kelvin. When using the 5OO watt Halogen photofloods, these are rated at 32OO -- The 1OOO watt lamps, are rated at 34OO degrees Kelvin slight difference in colour shift, but hardly seen using a digital camera. On the other hand if you are using a 35mm Print, So what do you need.? One 8OA and one 8OB filter, these screw onto the front of your lens. The 8OB is for 32OOK and the 8OA for 34OOK. Again, this is only for COLOUR PRINTS NOT SLIDES. ( unless you want to use a daylight type slide film )
Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
THANKS for the answers.

OK, so, the photofloods you mention on your site are halogen or are at least equivelent temperature.

I had fun last week experimenting with macro photography using strobes for lighting. I was using the halogen so I could see to focus, and that's when I thought about using them as a light source. I'll have to look if I have those filters. Maybe for my 28mm.

This is my home made ring light for macro (photogrtaphed with a 70mm lense to show how the light works; note the "shamus penny" :D )

Attachments

• ringlite.jpg
    ringlite.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 55