Halo Pelican Dropship

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Morning all, I wanted to start a thread for a project I've started recently. It's going to be a long one I reckon as I wanted it to be large scale to try and push myself more on a build/design. After seeing how others are doing the same, both in the size and detail of their models I felt inspired.

The subject I've chosen is the Pelican Dropship from the Halo franchise. I always liked the design but it's something my son and I deeply enjoy so I can rely on him to push me to see this through. :) In fact he's already asking me about the Scorpion Tank and Warthog to accompany the Pelican. :eek:

For this one, I did not create a 3D model myself. Instead I used a model ripped from the game itself as my starting point. I already know of one available as a card model already but I noticed that the intersection of parts had not been corrected before releasing it so instead decided to start over. I edited the parts so that they fit together without anything intersecting, and also used this opportunity to add detail to the model.

Because of the size I'm considering for the build, I'm contemplating adding a skeletal structure for support but haven't done this yet.

The attached pic gives an idea of what has been done so far, particularly where the engines fit into the main body?

Image1.jpg

Lastly, I was hoping to find a higher resolution of the textures used on these models from the Reach or possibly ODST games but sadly I've had no joy except for the lower detail texture maps used in the first three Halo games. :( Because of this I'll be texturing the whole model myself it seems.

Anyway, it's going to be a long road. I'm almost ready to start texturing the individual parts.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow, that is awesome! What are you modeling that in?

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks. It's gonna take a while I know. I remember seeing a huge diorama built for marketing Halo 3 I believe? It was like a freeze frame of a huge battle? Anyway I saw this amazing Scorpion Tank that was stunning so originally I planned to do that in card. Obviously the Pelican won out in the end. :)

original_211834_H5GMlQ8HgtL0rLHbtHbYeOFuz.gif

For modelling software, I've used many over the years. But I still enjoy using Metasequoia. :)

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Been making a start on textures. A slow start but a start nonetheless. I'm starting with the interior since it's going to be the trickiest area with all the individual parts for seats and whatnot. I'm also marking out where things go in the textures to make it easier for placing parts later on.

Liking it so far as it's giving me a chance to try out my new graphics tablet. LOL!

Image2.jpg

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
I'm going for 30inches in length. I've not calculated the actual scale that would be yet.

UPDATE: According to my math, at 30" in length, my Pelican would work out at approx 1/40 scale.

Last edited:

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Little update for those interested. :) More texturing on the main cargo area. Moving into the cockpit next.Image4.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That looks IMPRESSIVE!!!
If this is any indication of what the final models will look like, this is going to be one HECK of a model!!!
You have grabbed my attention on this project!!!
I will be following it!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
I appreciate the kind words thanks. I made a start on the cockpit this morning. The interior is almost all ready.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Continuing on with the cockpit. Mostly all done now, then it's onto the fun part. The exterior!
Image6.jpg

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Thank you. There's a lot to do on this one. But I think the hardest part was the interior so it should get better soon. :)