Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by holdenburg, Dec 30, 2006.

1. holdenburg

holdenburg Member

Hello all...
    Hoping some of the regulars can answer this question.

Is Hallmark N Gauge a decent engine? I know this is a broad quesiton, but I am putting together an N gauge setup for my father. There is also a KATO C&NW engine on the same web site for sale.

My father used to work for C&NW in the 60's and 70's. There are two engines on *bay that look like the right stuff but I am not familiar with N's. I used to build HO in my earlier days and have been out of touch with all this for some time. I want to get him a small setup as he lives in a small apartment.

I hope this is not too much of a noobie question and hope that someone can answer this question?

Thank you...

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Welcome to the Gauge.
    If I'm not mistaken, and I probably am, I think the Hallmark is a brass model.
    Though brass looks good, nice detail...and price, I've never heard of one that ran the greatest...Again, I could be mistaken.
    I'd buy the Kato. Good runner, strong puller, and nice detail for the price.
    Hope that helps.
  3. holdenburg

holdenburg Member

No, your correct, the Hallmark is Brass. The KATO is cheaper! And, yes, KATO looks to be better in detail. Now, the more homework I do, the more I am learning. (A good thing before ordering!)
    I stumbled upon DCC and am learning the new stuff. So much has changed since the 70's!

Thank you for your response...