Halinski Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa (2001)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Feb 24, 2007.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Kikka is done, time for the next model :grin:
    I've been looking at Halinski's kits for some time now and here is my first attempt at one of his creations.
    I decided on the first edition of the Hayabusa due to the fact that it's much simpler than the latest one - no moving surfaces and just a few parts for the engine and cockpit :roll:

So here it goes... (and, yes I wanted one of those neat cubes for myself :grin: )

Attached Files:

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice pick, Mike. I really like this one because of the weathering.
    It definitely helps bring it to life!

I'm really looking forward to this one!

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You have quite the Japanese plane collection there Michael - neat!

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Sorry Mike, I sincerely apologize, It looks like you're on to a good start, I couldn't tell from the pic is this the shiney or matt version?
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

This is a 2001 version and I think it only came out in matt.
    Halinski did the matt/gloss version for the new 2006 issue.
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Halinski suggests to use circle cutter for the front part 4a.
    I tried but I guess I was to clumsy with the device and tore the part :mad:
    Ended up using Xacto knife to cut the inside and then cut the part out.
    A bit time consuming and painful but it worked. I painted everything silver and it looks much better than the photo suggests :roll:

The inside former is inserted only to make sure that the cowling will keep its shape.

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good even with the silver/rubbed off paint look. The parts look nice and tight too, almost seamless. I'm glad to hear the former inside is just for shape, I was beginning to worry!
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I find circle cutters to be a mixed blessing. I've got both an Olfa and a chaper one (Hobbico?) that does smaller circles. They are both difficult to get an even circle with and I usually don't bother, except for something like a perfectly circular former or a wheel blank where it's helpful for the thicker stock and a little bit of a goof won't show or matter.
  9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

After trying to use it a few times, I agree completely.
    Cutting circles for wheels - perfect. Cutting delicate parts - I will stay away from it...

Back to the model - no, I did not abandon the Hayabusa :twisted:
    This engine being very simple compared to latest Halinski's planes, every cylinder still has seven parts that have to be cut out, formed and glued together...
    I decided not to do the wiring since none of it will be visible behind the radiator anyway.

Attached Files:

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And installed inside the cowl. Radiator for tomorrow...

Attached Files:

11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Lookin' sharp, Mike!

As detailed as the weathering is on this baby, you might have to put some bug juice on the canopy!:twisted:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This looks great Mike. I agree with you, sometimes it seems senseless to put details that won't be seen. I guess Halinski's latest kits are for the hyperdetail guys, that would scratch build the panel openings etc. I like Skyline's and some of the other kits approach, simple but convincing.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking awesome - to me the weathering is the highlight of the plane. Dont see many done that well. Of course the cube is super too :)

Surprised then engine only has that many parts ;)
  14. cbg

cbg Member

I envy that clean cowl, Michael. Could I interest you or Golden Bear in doing mine?

15. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Man-oh-man those are tight seams. I am very impressed. Can't wait to see more pix.
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hey Mike! Any new work on this fantastic build? 'Bin wondering how far you've gotten.
  17. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Work on the Hayabusa was suspended...
    I had to get the He-70 and now P-47D ready for sale and by the end of the week I'm starting brand new plane which will go for sale as soon as I'm done :twisted:
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Cool beans, can't wait to add to my collection of digital art which someday maybe constructed into models!
  19. DrBill

DrBill Member

Mike-- Beautiful build so far. I ran into the same problem with the engine -- by the time you add the radiator it disappears! All that good work for naught. Be forewarned that there is a problem with parts alignment at the wing root intakes. At first, I thought it was me, but I ran into several others at the IPMC this fall who had the same problem. Scan extra parts and color slabs to provide material for corrections. Good luck with what is otherwise a very good design.
  20. Texman

Texman Guest

Hey Mike,

Any hints on what the "brand new plane" is?