Halinski Mustang III 1/33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dansls1, Dec 6, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Subtitle: 'My First Halinski'

If all my other card modelling has been learning to walk, I consider this model to be running with scissors (or an Xacto knife). This model has just over twice as many parts as the BF109 I just finished. I'm flying without a net, no scan - just the original book to build from. I've already got over 3 hours into the model and other than laminating formers, I haven't glued anything yet.
    The interesting thing about the Halinski models is the use of the 'tab and slot' method of putting formers together. This requires a lot of extra cutting - but looks like it will not only provide a very sturdy frame for the plane, but it helps eliminate any mis-alignment when you are putting it together.
    I have taken GB's advice and am cutting the tabs angled and just a tad bit short - and it seems to be working well. I'm having to work the slots out just a bit wider, but I think my glue added a little thickness that I didn't account for. I'm going to try and remember to bring home my calipers and check the actual thickness (I used my 65# cover card stock, 4 layers at 0.2-0.22mm each plus the former sheet at 0.08-0.1).
    I've got 2 pictures - the first is the obligatory cover of the kit. The second shows much of the cockpit framing press-fit together.

Attached Files:

2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Halinski models are always my favourite builds to watch! Nice start Dan!
  3. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Dan, if I may, I want to ask some question from a "beginner's" prospective...the first being, the formers...do you have to laminate them to thicker board, or is this kit come with everything you need, part wise?

also, are the instructions in English?
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You need to laminate them to thicker stock :)

Great start! That first cut into the actual kit always hurts the most :)
  5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

In my case instead of using cardboard, I layered cardstock to get the thickness. The former patterns are on standard 'thin' paper (0.08-0.1mm), and for the 1mm thickness formers I used 4 sheets of 65# cover card stock (measures 0.2-0.22mm). It leaves formers that aren't quite as stiff as cardboard, but they are a bit easier to cut, and I did the same on the BF109 and didn't have any issues because of it.
    I will say that now I've started a Halinski the 'standard' way, I can see where ordering the laser cut frames (where available) would make it a tremendously quicker process at this stage.
    Halinski kits have English instructions available for the newer kits. It is a separate sheet, but is available from the US sources where I've ordered my kits. The sheets specifically say they aren't to be scanned or stored digitally, so in the case of the Jak-1b I was able to get Papermodelstore to send them to me after the kit because they weren't available yet when I first ordered.
    In honesty, the build diagrams are much better than any other kit I've seen. But being a forum hound at heart, I've got 4 or 5 build threads for this kit (between here, German and Polish forums) saved in my 'favorites' and will also use these as further sources to check everything out as I build (one of the best being Goldenbear's build on this forum).
  6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I love watching Halinski builds too... I look forward to trying one some day WAY further down the track... for now I can't even bring myself to take a knife to my Maly apache. :p

Good luck Dan, I'm sure you'll do a great job on this one, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've been tempted a time or two to order laser cut frames, but I think I've come to the conclusion that at least for myself, I like the feeling of creating them myself - that whole something from nothing thing that defines card modelling. Almost feels like cheating to let somebody else do it. :)

Of course, I HAD to make an exception for the Wright Flyer because of the impossibly thin frame parts!

8. AdamN

AdamN Member

I have taken to using the packaging covers from print-them-yourself labels and business cards. Its very close to the right thickness when the former sheet is laminated to it, and its very easy on the scissors or cutting blade. Plus, its white. My office has tons of this empty packaging they throw away every month. Each package is slightly larger than two 8.5x11 sheets of paper.

Hope this helps someone out.

Nice to see these builds. They are always so detailed. Good luck!

NULLMOON Member

in britsh livery too :thumb: