Halinski F-6F Hellcat

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bfam4t6, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. bfam4t6

    bfam4t6 Member

    Well I finally got the internet back, and I decided that I may as well share this kit with you guys. It was originally intended for the Kartonbau.de competition but as usual I ran out of time :). I haven't worked on it for about a month now but intend to do some work on it tonight. I currently have the fuselage complete and the left wing nearly complete. I'll take some more pictures and post them when I can.

    So far this has been a great kit. This is my second attempt at building a Halinski kit and it is turning out much better than my first. I'm sure most of you already know what to expect from his kits but in case you dont......great fit, great detail, great coloring, great diagrams, great model.

    The cockpit that comes with the kit is great as it is, but I decided to spruce it up a bit anyways. The picture below is not the complete cockpit obviously, but from the pictures that I have seen of the real plane it only has one inaccuracy and it's my fault. The circuit breakers (I think they are) on the lower right side next to the pilots leg was portrayed completely incorrectly by me. Before doing any research I assumed that the greyish lines provided with the kit were supposed to portray silver on/off switches. So I made them. I was wrong. After looking at pictures of a restored cockpit I think that they are simply meant to be labels. Oh well :-D


    Attached Files:

  2. shoki2000

    shoki2000 Active Member

    Halinski made a mistake on one of the segments - smoke from the exhaust is shifted on one side of the fuselage.
    Corrected part was published together with the P-39 Airacobra....
  3. barry

    barry Active Member


    It's a great looking nose
  4. Gil

    Gil Active Member


    I was wondering where you've been! You're doing a great job on it. The cockpit looks great as detailed. Must of taken more than just a few hours to get it that way. I also have this model and trial built the nose with tooling foil as a backing to get the nose piece to curve. It worked but needed a second run to make a really good looking piece out of it. You're right about this model though, it is a great kit.

  5. bfam4t6

    bfam4t6 Member

    Michael I actually have a scan of the corrected part that I believe was provided by Leif on the older site. I decided, however, that it would be too much of a hassle to cut apart a section of the fuselage and try to work in the corrected section. Also, my printer isn't of the highest quality and the difference caused by that and different paper would probably be more noticable than the smoke. I've considered simply coloring in the correct area with charcoal or something similar. I could then use chalk to dull the effect of the displaced smoke stain.

    Well here are a few more pictures that I just took today. As you can see, I still need to work on eliminating "dimples" at my fuselage seams.



  6. bfam4t6

    bfam4t6 Member

    I'm back. I didn't do much building during the school year. I bought a new (old) car in Janurary that has had me distracted for the past several months. Now I have a bit more time to split myself between two hobbies, so it's back to paper models for awhile.

    Here is the progress. Right now the wings and engine are still dry fitted into place. I still need to make the left landing gear, the prop, the canopy, and finish up some small details like the lights, machine guns, and antenna. You can still see the small flap of fuselage near the rear landing gear that needs to be glued. I had planned to take more pictures showing the landing gear and finished cockpit, but my camera shut off because the batteries went dead after 3 pics. Apparently it takes less "juice" to upload a picture than it does to take a picture, so here are the three. I'll post more in the next few days.


    When you put glue over the gauges they look VERY realistic in the sun.


    GEEDUBBYA Active Member

    Great looking model, I used to use the "glue over the guages" trick on plastic planes, I found out that clear fingernail polish adds even more depth to the "glass". I am not sure how well it would work on ink, unless you just applied it by the drop (no brushing). If it worked well, the polish could also be used on landing lights to give a "glass" look to the lens of the lights.

    Have a good day, great job,

    Greg aka GW
  8. cardmodeler

    cardmodeler Member

    Kristal Klear

    You can also use some stuff called Micro Kristal Klear by Microscale. It works great for instrument panel lenses and you can use it to make small windows and whatnot. It dries, as the name says, Kristal Klear.
  9. bfam4t6

    bfam4t6 Member

    @ Carl
    Thanks, but my work is not that good yet. I don't have much of a problem with small details, but I still leave a few dimples in my fuselage joints and wing joints. Also, you are right about the arresting hook. I didn't look at any reference pictures in regards to the hook before I plopped it on. I just assumed that it came with the kit and should be shown. Luckily though, it is also dry fitted for the picture I can still completely remove it if I want to. I may just shove it in some more ;-)

    As far as glazing, I forgot about good old nail polish. I might have to give it a try since some is right above my head in my mom or sisters room.

Share This Page