Halinski 1:200 HMS Hood Build

airbob

Team,
....Excellent, very clean fit ....a real joy to watch the progress....Yu...you're "Prince of Wales" is also most excellent!!!...I'm really enjoying this thread....very beautiful....mmmmarvvvverlllous!:thumb:

Teamski

Thanks for the comments!

I worked on the railings some more last night and I am getting better at handling the stuff. I worked the bridge superstructure so I can finally glue on the funnels. I painted the railings after gluing them on. This seems to be the best method for me. I'm happy with the results.

-Ski

YuG

Conguratulations!!!

Your way of installing railings is more realistic than mine!!!
I will try to follow your way.

Teamski

Actually, if I could find 4 line railings like yours, I would of went that route instead. Surprisingly I get a good bond gluing the legs of the railings to the deck, but it is a headache. I'd stick with your method if I were you, hehehe...

-Ski

Teamski

Worked on the gantry cranes and star platform today. The kit is missing the "wedges" for the mainmast star platform, so I will have to fabricate those. The gantry cranes were about half size as well! I had to fix that, too. :roll:

-Ski

Teamski

I'm making slow progress on the ship as work is taking up most of my time, unfortunately. I did get the mainmast just about done including adding the star platform supports that were not in the kit (the black part). I also worked boats. The secondary turrets are just set on the deck for the shot. I didn't cut out the sight slots on them and went with adding shutters to them instead. I found photos of the Hood with these shutters installed. I didn't like how flimsy the turrets looked with the slots cut and it isn't accurate with them in the stowed position.

So far so good. I wish I could get more time to close this one out!! :cry:

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1284.jpg
    DSCF1284.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 53

Teamski

I pretty much finished the foremast top. I just have to paint the railings and add some others. I had to completely refabricate the roofs and turret facing of the mast top as they were grossly undersized. I also scratch-built the radar as the kit featured sight "wings" which were incorrect for the 1941 ship. Thanks to the HMS Hood Association website for the reference graphics!!!

I finally took the ship outside for photos for a better look. So close yet so far.....:thumb:

-Ski

p.s. to zoom, click on the image. On the top right of the websites page, you will see a "full size" button......

pashlispaht

That is a truly amazing model! Just when one starts to feel smug about one's own efforts, someone comes along with a truly outstanding model and humbles him...

Currently building the Shipyard HMS Bellona.

Teamski

That is a truly amazing model! Just when one starts to feel smug about one's own efforts, someone comes along with a truly outstanding model and humbles him...

Currently building the Shipyard HMS Bellona.

Thanks for the complements, but I can't compete with a lot of others on this forum, that's for sure. I'm happy to be a "middle of the road" modeler thank you :twisted:.

Anyways, I've had company over for a couple weeks now, thus the lack of news on the build. I did build the searchlights complete with clear plastic and silver interiors, so they look pretty good. More to follow, of course!!

-Ski

Teamski

I finally started working on the ship once again. Night shift has really taken the sails out of my building! Very bad!! Anyways, I completed the 4.7" gun turrets and finished one of the pom-pom guns. I shuttered the sight windows on the turrets as I've seen photos with them installed. They also keep the turrets from looking flimsy.

It's easy to forget how fun this hobby is.

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1504.jpg
    DSCF1504.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1505.jpg
    DSCF1505.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 51
whooooooo

Hi Teamski,

what a clean build !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very good.........I´m deeply impressed...........no more words to say:thumb::thumb:

best flu

Amazyah

Truly a museum quality build!
Your workmanship is magnificent Ski!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A first class build, all the way!

Patiently waiting for every installment!:cool:

Russell

Teamski

Once again, thanks for the cudos. ;)

I started working the main turrets. They had the tabs on the roof pieces, and I know that they would be really tough to fit inside the turret sides without making a glue mess. So, I decided to tab the turret sides instead. This will make it a lot easier to get the roofs right, if you know what I mean.

I also am trying something new to me. For the blast bags, I cut out a piece of the gunhouse opening at the top of the arch. I'm hoping that I can draw a piece of the blast bag in and glue it on the inside. This hopefully will set up the rest of the bag for gluing with watered down glue, as I do with 1:400 ships. We'll see if this works out.

I'm now having a quandry over barrel sizes. I know the stuff I have should be big enough, but it looks small. I think everybody has this issue with barrels. I know that if I go larger, then the ship will look cartoony :rolleyes:.....

-Ski

ps. I cut down the 4" gun barrels to make them shorter. They look far more realistic now....

Attachments

• DSCF1552.jpg
    DSCF1552.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 43

Teamski

I completed the barrels and installed the turret roofs. Over-all, I'm happy with the blast bags. I used some of my wife's fabric which is really difficult to control. I couldn't bring myself to use the glue/paper pulp method. I painted the blast bags gray as it was mentioned on the HMS Hood site that they were gray and not white at the time of the sinking. I'm happy I'm done with them!! I'm thrilled with the barrel size. 5/32" tubing is perfect for 1:200 scale large caliber guns! :twisted:

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1556.jpg
    DSCF1556.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1559.jpg
    DSCF1559.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 57

gian7675

Wowoweee!

Geez teamski...I didn't see this build before. WOW! it's very huge and realistic :thumb:

I wish i could build my future card models like yours :mrgreen:

Keep up the pics! :wave:

Teamski

I finished the turrets. I'm really happy how they turned out. Now to finish off the ship's boats, railings, a few AA guns and rigging. I still have a lot to do!!!:rolleyes:

-Ski

Attachments

• DSCF1570.jpg
    DSCF1570.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 59