half a trestle

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by t. alexander, Oct 9, 2002.

1. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Just thought I'd put a couple of pics of my first large trestle I'm scratchin'.
    It was supposed to be a part of a small diarama scene for a photo shot so I only made half of it. But decided what the heck, a whole trestle is better than a half of one And can always find a place for it on my future layout. Thats the other half in the lower left corner.
    It will measure 30 inches long and roughly
    80 HO scale ft. high. on the stone pier's. still got to add the nuts & bolts (Grandt Line) and some bracing
    The lumber is poplar wood and was cut on my table saw.

It is stained with diluted Floquil grimy black and lacquer based walnut and mohagany pigment.

Attached Files:

2. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

and another, This is a couple of evenings work, Actually goes pretty quick once the jig is set up.

Attached Files:

3. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

one more.:D

Attached Files:

4. Catt

Catt Guest

Lookin' good T. My trestle will be conciderably lower than yours cause thats the way Michigan trestles are,but I still think it will be kewl :D
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Your doing a real nice job on that t.! :cool:
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Pretty cool T! Now with half a tresle, you can do a speed racer action photo! NOT!:D :D :D
  7. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Great trestle, t.
    And your little 4-4-0 looks good on it too.
    Bill S
  8. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Woohoo t.

You just can't beat the aesthetics of a trestle bridge and you got a beauty there sir. I just love that creosote look. Them 4-4-0 Americans sure look sweet on such structures.

Once you have a jig made, a trestle of any hight (up to the max of your jig) can be made.

9. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Thanks for the compliment's guys.
    The one "hucklebuck" so far is I stained it dark to reseble treated lumber but don't know if in the 1890's it was the norm. If not then my story is it just aged that way. :D