Hairspray on card models?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by andrew ferguson, Apr 6, 2007.

1. oh i see. i've heard the krylon clear does not dry all that flat (matt) in finish. That's why i like dullcote as it dries flat, flat, flat which i like since i do mostly military subjects.
  2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Sorry, guys: I should have been much more specific. What you want is Krylon #1311 Matte Finish, which is intended for sealing/topcoating artwork and photographs. It dries to a PERFECTLY flat finish, provided that it is agitated (shaken) in accordance with the instructions. However, Dullcote is also very good (but 2x the price of the Krylon).

3. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I use Krylon "Workable Fixatif" OR Testors "Dullcoat" --- whichever can I grab first. The Krylon is absolutely colorless, while the Testors is very very slightly yellowish. Both of them are lacquers. Both companies also make glosscoat sprays, and Testors makes them in bottles for brushing or airbrushing.

For a glossy finish, you might try a spraying a dull seal coat, then brush or airbrush with Future Floor Polish. It works great on plastic, but I have never gotten around to trying it on paper.

4. gippolot

gippolot Member

For the benefit of Australians, I've come across Krylon products in some hobby stores.

But for all my card models, ( 2 x 1/2 to date), I been using Helmar's Crystal Kote that I picked up at Spotlight. Yep, the Spotlight store where the Mrs goes to buy curtain material, or, the Mr goes... 'cause the Mrs can't sew. ...If my dad only knew how much people have changed.

The matt product leaves printed paper/card just the same as before it was sprayed. No matter how thick I spray it on. Though I haven't tried it for water proofing.

For artwork I still use an old can of Fixative by Nuart, which does a great job. Couldn't find a link, but it's sold in any good art stores.
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

Admittedly my sample size isn't large (3) - but art supply shops in Oz seem to carry Krylon spray finishes.

The Krylon matt acrylic does dry clear if it's shaken before spraying. I usually give parts sheets a light spray before cutting out - pretty much stops glue marks on the parts.

6. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

We have available here a clear lacquer which comes as a spray paint. It dries fast and often leaves a kind of orange peel finish if not careful and even if one is careful. I am familiar with Krylon but only because of having lived in the USA in a past life. Products like Krylon are pure unobtainium here in my part of Africa. So beggers here can't be choosers. That's why I was very interested in another option like hairspray which one can find here. I'd be very curioius to see how it would compare with my only other option of a clear lacquer.
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'm not sure what they actually use to make hair spray, but I'm sure once it soaks in, it would be better than nothing. I wouldn't trust it for waterproofing, but here i the states, they've started putting anti-UV stuff into it, which might help prevent fading....
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Peter Crow (eatcrow2) suggested that I use Future Floor Finish to seal models. Its inexpensive assuming you has an air brush and the results are superb. Lightly misting the model will give you a finish with slight sheen and still seal the model. Heaver coats will result in glossier finishes. It does not cause the colors to change or warp the paper. Clean up requires a 50/50 mixture of house hold ammonia and water and you should use an older tip if you leave Future in the air brush and it dries it will destroy the air brush.

I also hand brush Future on parts to get a high gloss finish such as head lights and such. It is also great for stiffening up small parts before you cut them out. Lastly you can use water color pigments to color future if you need a “paint" that won’t warp the paper.

Jim Nunn
  10. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

I have used an equivelent acrylic floor finishing product to add a shine to my paper models (again no clear gloss spray paint here). I've always used a brush and applied it in several coats over as many days, but only after sealing it with my clear lacquer. I don't have an airbrush to put it on thinly. On the other hand, it sounds as though I possibly could get away with applying the floor finish alone without first sealing it with a spray paint. I think I'll experiment and see what happens when I brush the floor finish on a scrap piece without any sealing.
  11. AznRiceBoi

AznRiceBoi New Member

Do you usually spray the templates before you start working on the models or do you spray after the model is finished?

I'm tempted to spray the templates before I start working on the models because I don't want the moisture on my fingers messing up the ink. Now, my dilemma is that if Krylon Preserve It provides a "moisture resistant" coat would this affect the ability for glue (I'm using Elmer's Glue-All) to bond the paper together?
  12. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Many builders spray the printed sheets (both sides) before they start building for just that reason.The glue should work fine.
  13. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I used sealers of all sorts professionally for twenty years. Hairspray is a very good temporary sealer in medium to dry environments. It is water soluable and in high humidity it actually soaks up moisture; hence, not a top choice overall for paper models.
    Acrylic sprays are much better, especially if they are UV protectors as well. These are permanent, non-water soluable coatings.
    I've been doing a few tests with some exterior water-based urethane sealers with good results. I had a small paper model coated with one of these sealers and kept it outdoors through all weather (no snow, but rain and harsh sun). The model was still good a year later, but some fading had occured. A year after that, it had faded significantly and was beginning to develop some deterioration and mold. But it held up a LOT longer than I thought it would. It didn't yellow at all either.
    At this point though, I'd still say use one of the UV protectant acrylic sprays like Krylon's.
  14. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I noticed that someone mentioned an "orange peel" effect with clear acrylic sprays (lacquer will do the same thing, as will gloss enamels).

Put on more, thinner coats. You can get better coverage and thinner coats by putting the spray can in hot water (right out of the tap --- not hotter) until it warms up. And shake it frequently when spraying.

I tend to get carried away with spray cans, so I'm familiar with orange peel, puddles, runs, etc.:wink:

15. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

Thanks Bob,
    That was me. I use a clear lacquer which is the only thing available to me. The stuff drys so fast in the low humidy and relatively warm area in which I live. While I love the weather, it seems that the spray is coming out of the can almost dry before it hits whatever it is I'm painting.