Hair Dryer to speed drying

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by johnflys2, Apr 8, 2007.

1. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Since I'm new here I've been reading many of the threads and I haven't yet seen of anyone using a hair dryer to speed up glue drying time. I was just holding a part that I had glued and was thinking my wife's hair dryer on low should speed up things. It seem to work OK but I'm wondering if anyone has had any bad results from this technique? Also I read somewhere that sandpaper is used in cardmodeling. I think I know where and would like to know what grit is recommended? John
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hair Dryers and Sandpaper

First off, welcome to the institution! Relax and have a good time.

Hair dryers are used by a lot of modelers to speed up the glue drying process. Other uses include but are not limited to; speeding up CA soak drying time, drying paint, taugtening nylon monofilament and silk thread and warming a cold shop up. Hair dryers don't have the same heat output as do heat guns and so are fairly safe in the hands of an inexperienced user. Heat guns, on the other hand, have to be used carefully as they will "roast" the model nicely if not tended carefully.

Sanding paper is usually accomplished with a fairly fine grit of sandpaper beginning at 120 grit. A collection of 120, 220, 400, 800 and 1200 is standard in my setup. Several different grits of nail files are highly recommended. They can be found at beauty supply stores.

3. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Hair dryers and sandpaper

Gil, I'm glad to know I'm on the right track with the hair dryer and thanks for the recommendations on grit sizes. John